The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Victor Grayson's War Service

BeppoSapone

Guest JonathanPile

Hello everyone. This is my first ever post on this site. I stumbled apon it while searching for information on Victor Grayson. I am one of the Canadian relatives. Victor was my great uncle. To be more specific, my grandmother Augusta Grayson was Victor's sister. I know very little about her as she died before I was born. I don't know when she left England for Canada but, my mother was born here in 1925 so it was before that. I know that Augusta went back to England to search for her brother through Scotland Yard and such. I was intrigued by the postings I've seen regarding the claiming of his war medals and I think my mother mentioned them when I was very young. I do remember handling war medals although I think they belonged to my grandfather. None of my older relatives are alive today. If there are any medals or papers, my brother has them. I am going to try and dig through the family papers hopefully this weekend. I haven't seen this stuff in nearly forty years so, who knows? I doubt there will be anything but, I will post the results if there is interest.

David Wells, Hamilton Ontario Canada

Hello David

My name is Jonathan Pile, I'm an author (www.pileandassociates.co.uk) and I helped with the BBC Radio 4 programme about your Great uncle Victor. I wrote about him in my 2012 book Churchill's Secret Enemy (mainly drawing new evidence in declassified MI5 files and the existing published material) I have been writing a book about Victor Grayson for publication this year, and have obtained a copy of his war records from the NZ Army records which I will happilly email to you. I have also spoken to Lord Clark (David Clark) when he gave a lecture at Huddersfield University this October which was well attended, there will be a screening on the BBC TV Documentary on Victor Grayson this year also at the Holmfirth Literary Festival, when I will speak. I would love to know if your family did have Victor's WWI medals as it would solve a mystery as to who collected them in 1939. If you do have them, then it strengthens the evidence that he died in the 1920's (possibly the result of foul play), if not then that points to his survival under another identity (such as Victor Garston) into the 1940's and beyond. I think Augusta very brave, saving her housekeeping to travel to England twice , and never giving up in the search. His Daughter Elaine Watkins lived in Brighton I believe. I have a collection of most of his speeches and articles and he was a strong advocate of the war effort, particularly in 1918 when morale was sapping.

Augusta managed to get a police inquiry by Scotland Yard on her first trip in 1942, were you ever told about that? Victor Grayson's Missing Persons File has now been lost by the Metropolitan Police, but it certainly existed, Observer Editor Donald Trelford claimed it was the size of 4 London Telephone books.

Best Regards

Jonathan Pile Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Guest JonathanPile

My Name is Jonathan Pile, I am an author and have written about Victor Grayson as part of an earlier book,Churchill's Secret Enemy I am publishing a new book this year with new material on Victor Grayson. I would be interested in any information. I have a copy of Victor's Military records and declassified MI5 files about Maundy Gregory.

jonathan@pileandassociates.co.uk

Please get in contact if you can be of help

• 7 months later...

Hi David wells, I have some information about your great grandmother, Augusta Greenwood, if you email me I'll give you more information.julie@wardj.co.uk

A little marginal, but while still in the public eye he was held in high esteem in many left leaning communities. Vic Feather, late general secretary of the TUC was christened Victor Grayson Hardie Feather.

Keith

• 2 years later...

I'm so sorry I never replied again YEARS ago! I lost the link and life has been so busy. I'm still going to try and dig up some info and post it here. I know there is a Canadian newspaper clipping with a photo of August Grayson who became Augusta Greenwood through marriage. As for the war medals, they were almost certainly my grandfathers, not Victor's and there would be no way of knowing anyway. I hope to post again soon.  David Wells.