The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New Zealand Field Artillery

Matt Dixon

Was the regiment under the auspices of the Royal Artillery or were they a seperate unit?

They were seperate from the Royal Horse and Field Artillery of the British Army, being part of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force (NZEF); so only NZ personnel could serve with them.

I have a distant relative who was killed with the NZFA on the Somme, and have done a reasonable amount of work on them - anything in particular you are interested in?

Paul,

I am trying to find out about Driver Maurice Alwyn Adams of the NZFA, who was killed in action 28th March 1917 and is buried at Dranoutre Military Cemetery. I don't know where to find the Battalion diary as I have drawn a blank at the PRO thus far.

Do you know where exactly they were at this date?

The NZ division was in the line opposite Messines at this time, and its gun sites for the NZFA batteries were in the Wulverghem area. Perhaps he died of wounds at the ADS in Dranoutre?

Have you not found a war diary for this unit in WO95? I thought it was complete for the NZ units?

He is certainly recorded as being DOW. When I tried at the PRO it was listed as being avaliable but no one could find it. I couldn't find Dranoutre cemetery either!

Surname ADAMS

Given Name Maurice Alwyn

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 2/2350

Rank Gunner

Body or Draft Eighth

Unit or Regiment Field Artillery

Marital Status M

Last NZ Address Tokomaru Bay

Next of Kin Title Mrs Lily

Next of Kin Surname ADAMS

Next of Kin Relationship Wife