The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Russians on the Western Front

Guest Simon Griffith

Guest Simon Griffith

I have just read Jonathan Walker's "The Blood Tub - General Gough and the Battle of Bullecourt"

The author refers to Russian Brigades in the French sector stoking up revolt following the Chemin des Dames debacle. (no referance)

While I consider myself reasonably well read I dont recall ever hearing mention of Russians on the Western Front.

Can anyone clarify, or point me in the right direction

Why were they there?

What did they do?

How many were there?

What happened to them after Russia made peace?

Simon

Two brigades posted to Champagne in 1917. They were based at the Mailly camp. They assisted in the 1917 campaigns on the Chemin des Dames. Many of them ended up dead; there is a cemetery for them in Champagne - it's mentioned in Rose Coombs if you have a copy. They were supposed to be an unsettling influence on the French Army acting as conduits for Bolshevik ideas from Russia and were said to be influential in the mutinies post-Chemin des Dames. I don't know what happened to them after that. Possibly Pétain shipped them back to Russia.

If you have a copy of the 1964 The Great War video series there is section concerning them on the tape dealing with the French 1917 campaigns and mutinies.

In my pc collection I have one with them in camp at Mailly. I'll see if I can dig it out and post it here.

Hi Simon,

The story of the Russians on the Western Front is very tragic and complex. I highly reccommend the book "With Snow on Their Boots" the author's name escapes me. It is well worth a read and will answer just about any questions you may have.

I would add more but do not have the book at hand.

Take care,

Neil

Many Russian WW1 casualties lie in CWGC cemeteries in Belgium (123 graves) and France (340 graves).

They also look after WW1 Russian dead in Egypt, Iran, Yemen, Lebanon, Malta, Turkey and the UK!

In my pc collection I have one with them in camp at Mailly. I'll see if I can dig it out and post it here.

A combination of a poor copy and an inabillity to cope with Adobe Photoshop in French prohibits this at the moment.

The excellent book "With Snow On Their Boots" is by Jamie H Cockfield, published by St Martin's Griffin in 1919; ISBN 0 312 22082 0.

There is a church, cemetery and memorial at St Hilarie le Grande in Champagne. The memorial asks French children to leave them flowers. Cemetery looks like any French Cemetery. Adjacent and on church grounds are their expatriate offficers and French wives who wanted to be buried with colleagues. There is an annula ceremony,Christina has attended.

THe book is terrific and available in paperback.

There is an excellent little booklet written by Pierre Petit -Histoire des Russes Incorpores dans les Armees Francaises Pendant la Grande Guerre 1914-1918 published in 1957 . I dont know whether it is still available but it contains many photographs of Mailly camp and the Rusian soldiers , also those of their church and monument at St Hilaire le Grand , just SW of Reims . I went there many moons ago and and found the church open and staffed by Russians who lived in Paris . It is a very interesting place to visit if you get the chance .

Here's a couple of photos of the Russian Cemetery that Paul refers to above. These were taken in 1997 during renovations.

Dave.

post-1-1069113498.jpg

...and a shot of the "French style" grave markers. Across the road from this cemetery is a memorial and, not too far away can be found graves to the Polish troops and Italians alongside the Germans and French.

post-1-1069113842.jpg

Also don't forget the thousands of Russian POWs that were used by the Germans on the Western Front to do all kinds of work.

After the peace in Russia they were sent back IIRC.

Jan

Dave the headstones in your first photo are not war time they are the ones in the churchyard of the exile officers. The church has been closed the 2 times I have been there as has Fort Pompelle also near Reims.

Dave the headstones in your first photo are not war time they are the ones in the churchyard of the exile officers. The church has been closed the 2 times I have been there as has Fort Pompelle also near Reims.

Thanks for that, Paul.

I was going to ask about them, because I couldn't remember. I didn't get chance to stop long that day because I was heading to Normandy from Verdun and wanted to do a few "visits" en route, so basically,I was taking photos but not taking much in. (was propping up a bar in Bayeaux by dusk that day - not bad,eh?)

Dave.

Come to think of it none of the headstones are war time, should have said burials were not. Some of these men and their wives were buried long after the war. Interesting place indeed.

One does not have to go so far for Italian graves on the western front though I think these are combat related graves and the ones near Ieper are not, but POW graves at the Belgian Cemeteryat Houthulst. It's also one of the prettiest.

Guest Simon Griffith

Many thanks for all the illuminating responses. I feel compelled to find out more, "With Snow on their Boots" goes on the Christmas wish list.

Cheers

Simon