The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th Battalion The Buffs

Will O'Brien

I'm researching a Private Frank Bowles who served in the 6th Battalion of the Buffs. He died on 15th May 1916 from blood poisoning in City of London War Hospital. Local period newspapers indicate that his wounds were received whilst he was serving around or near Eloi.

Can any Buffs experts verify that the 6th Batt were near Eloi sometime prior to 15th May?

Many thanks

Will

From memory, 12th Eastern Division, whom they served with, were near Loos at this time. They did not serve in the Salient at this time.

Paul Many thanks for that. I'm not surprised to be honest. If nothing else I have found that the newspapers of the time were not always particularly accurate in this respect.

A very quick look at the Buffs regimental history indicates 6 Bttn was already on the Somme by May 1916 and had been for some considerable time before.

6th Buffs were at Givenchy in January. 6th March attack on Hohenzollern Redoubt. Rest at Bethune in late March, remaining in same sector until easter of that year, then into camp at Lillers.

The Buffs- Moody page 136 to 139

A very quick look at the Buffs regimental history indicates 6 Bttn was already on the Somme by May 1916 and had been for some considerable time before.

Signals

Thanks for looking for me. It certainly reinforces that they wern't at Eloi so Frank Bowles couldn't have been wounded there.

6th Buffs were at Givenchy in January. 6th March attack on Hohenzollern Redoubt. Rest at Bethune in late March, remaining in same sector until easter of that year, then into camp at Lillers.

The Buffs- Moody page 136 to 139

David

Many thanks for that. It's given at least an indication where this chap Frank Bowles may have been wounded.