The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Day On The Somme

David_Bluestein

Are any forum members familiar with the city (or town) of PERTH? I am researching the below soldier and hoped someone local to this city might have some insight into further researching this soldier? Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David,

Canada

9497 L/Cpl. JOHN STOBIE HODGE

1st Bn. Hampshire Regiment

Killed, July 01, 1916

Son of William and Mary S. Hodge, of 11, Ballantine Place, Dunkeld Rd., Perth.

David,

Perth is well known to me and is in Central Scotland and if he was a resident he will appear in The Golden Book of Remembrance kept in St John's Kirk, Perth. The Dunkeld road is towards the North-East side of Perth. He will be in the Perth Section of the book.

I'll be up that way sometime in the next few weeks failing that I know the minister.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm:

Terrific, thanks very much for the kind offer and information. Anything you might be able to find on Hodge small or large is gratefully accepted.

I wonder why it is that this soldier being from Scotland, was assigned to a British regular army regiment? Would they not have rather posted him to a regiment from closer to home?

Best wishes

David

David,

If you note my signature baseline you will see James Young Duncan, Notts and Derby Regt who is commemorated on Blairgowrie High School Memorial and the Perth Golden Book. His Division was the 39th and I know he was an RE attached to the Black Watch in the same Division. He was probably transferred to the N & D sometime before 3rd Ypres where he was killed in action.

The Comrie, Perthshire Memorial (near Perth) and also on the Golden Book has several southern Regiments listed as well as Canadians and Australians and one American Sergeant so it is not really strange to find a Hampshire among the Perth men.

Exporting good engineers and artisans is one thing the Scots have done from necessity since the late 19th century.

Aye

Malcolm

post-1-1069095861.jpg

Hello David.

He sounds like a regular soldier,looking at his army number,and the fact that he was in the 1st Hampshires,having come all the way from Scotland!!

The Wardrobe museum,at Salisbury,Wiltshire,UK,is home of the Hampshire Regiment archives,so i believe.

The web address,escapes me at the moment,David,but i am sure a web search will bring it up.

They have some war diary excerpts,that you can access on line.

It is a marvellous museum,that is in the shadow of Salisbury Cathedral,and is well worth a visit,if you are over this way.

All the best.

Simon.

Malcolm,

The reason I wondered is because in the CEF it was made a practice (in the early stages of the war at least) to ensure that men were serving with those from the same cities and provinces. For instance:

1st Battalion CEF, from Western Ontario

2nd Battalion CEF, from Eastern Ontario

7th Battalion CEF, mainly from New Westminster British Columbia

27th Battalion CEF, from the City of Winnipeg

As the war dragged on, and the need for reinforcements critical, it became more common to see men in battalions away from their home provinces etc.

I know with some British regiments this must have been the same, at least in Kitchener’s army.

Simon:

Yes his number suggests he was an 'early' man. However he joined his regiment sometime in 1915, on account of the 1914-15 Star.

Thanks to both above for all info

David

David,

according to SDGW he was born at Limekilns, Dunfermline, Fife (Scotland) and enlisted at Perth

You should be able to find an image of his birth certificate on this site.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.ph...hp?bWVzc2FnZT0x

You may also find an image of his marriage certificate if he married in Scotland, plus any census entries.

Don't bother searching for the record of his death - it will only return the notation 'Service Returns' with no associated image.

The uncommon middle name should make him easy to find.

You'll have to pay £6 to search and download images.

Jock

Exporting good engineers and artisans is one thing the Scots have done from necessity since the late 19th century.

G'day Malcolm

Even Banjo Paterson noticed, during Boer War.

But the pipers gaily played,

Chanting their fierce delight,

And the armoured carriages rocked and swayed,

Laden with men of the Scotch Brigade,

Hurrying up to the fight,

And the grim, grey Highland engineer,

Driving them into the night.

ooRoo

Pat

The Wardrobe museum,at Salisbury,Wiltshire,UK,is home of the Hampshire Regiment archives,so i believe.

The web address,escapes me at the moment,David,but i am sure a web search will bring it up.

They have some war diary excerpts,that you can access on line.

I admit it has been a while since I was there, but I thought that the Hampshire Regiment Museum was still in Winchester. This makes more sense to me when you consider Salisbury is in Wiltshire.....

I did a trawl on the web and found that the Hants museum is shut at present, until April 2004 while the building is refurbished, but that the archivist can be contacted on 01962 863658.

See this web link about the Hampshire Regimental Museum

David, you might also like to talk to forum member Marc Thompson - he is the Hampshire guru.

• 6 months later...

David,

Got the photos at last. Church closed for street refurbishment, no Church Officer to oprn up .....etc.

Here is L Cpl Hodge remembered at Perth.

Aye

Malcolm

post-1-1087429699.jpg

Malcolm,

Fantastic!!! Truly great stuff. This will be great to add to my research! Please, if there is ever any Canadian spots (in Ontario-greater Toronto area) that needs a pic...let me know!

Regards

David Bluestein