The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

John Lynn DCM & VC - Service No: 1272

genevrac

I am currently researching John Lynn, DCM & VC, Service No 1272, 2nd Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers who died on 2nd May 1915 and has a memorial at Vlamertinghe Churchyard Memorial. I have located a copy of his citation in the London Gazette, however if possible would like to receive information on the following:

1) How did he obtain his DCM?

2) Any information on his life prior to joining the army?

3) It states on the current memorial that his grave was destroyed in later battles, does anyone know which battle/s?

4) Does anyone have a photo image of John Lynn?

I sincerely hope that there is someone out there that can assist with any of the above information - if so, many, many thanks for your time and help.

;)

Guest lemon trench

Hi there, he would have won the DCM (Distinguished Conduct Medal) for gallantry in the face of the enemy.

This was the medal awarded to "other ranks" and at the time he was awrded it in 1915 it was second only to the Victoria Crosss. After 1916, the DCM was superseded mainly by the Military Medal.

The Great War Family Research Group (see this forum) will do a report for you about John Lynn.

He was killed during the 2nd battle of Ypres. Ypres as I am sure you are aware was a major killing ground between 1914-1918. Fought over so often, many graves originally laid out in 1915 would have been destroyed during the continual bombardment in the area from 1915 - 1918, and particularly during the 3rd battle of Ypres.

Hope this helps

I have visited the special memorial to John Lynn at Grootebeek several times. His original grave marker is preserved in our parish church in Bury. If you e-mail me with your address I will send you photocopies of sections from a couple of local history books which give details of his life. I started a thread about him and the Special Memorial some months ago on this forum which you should be able to find with the 'search' feature. The relevant volume of the 'VCs of the Great War' series has a section on him but I do not have the 1915 volume to hand.

Only in a way was DCM superceded by MM. DCM called for a 20L bonus for UK soldiers who won it and MM nothing. After MM came into being it was much more common, saw this recently, maybe 50 times more so than DCM which remained 2d highest award for OR soldier.

Guest lemon trench

I cannot believe this. Are you saying that that the replacement of the DCM for ordinary ranks by the MM was a cost cutting exercise. How grotesque is that when men were sacrificing themselves for King and Country !!!!

It was not a replacement; DCM continued to be awarded. I have now way of knowing whether reducing costs was part of the motivation. I think they wanted to honor more men. It is a fact however UK soldiers who were awarded DCM received the bonus, Dominion men got extra leave.