The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Motorcycle Machine Gun Corps

Nepper

I'm trying to find out all I can about my Grandfather and his role in the Corps.

My Grandfather was born Frederick Walter Pawsey in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk and joined up even though too young at the time. He was refused at the local station but went to London with friends and joined up there.

He completed his basic training and was sent to Dover for embarkation, there, he was asked if he knew anything about motorbikes, he said yes and shipped off to another training area.

I only got the chance to speak to him one regarding his service after I joined the forces myself. Prior to this he would tell anyone about his experiences not even his sons. He only told me about the Lewis gun and the motocycle, the only reference he made to the fighting was that it was like cutting corn when the germans came into range.

My Grandmother told me after this that he didn't sleep properly on his return for several years.

My father is now in his seventies and has found his medals, it is causing him concern that we can't find out a lot about the Corps and what he did.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.