The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CEF Battalions

JulianB

This site Chris, has been enormously useful to me. Do you know of anything as good where I can look up the history of individual CEF battalions. Yes, I'm interested in 2 specifics: 89 Overseas Btn & 31st Btn

thanks

Hi Julian:

The 31st has an official history 'History of the 31st Canadian Infantry Battalion, CEF' written by H.C. Singer, published in 1938. There are copies floating around.

The 89th Battalion was from Calgary, Alberta and they never served as a unit on the Western Front. They were absorbed into the 9th Reserve Battalion. I don't think they ever had an official history published.

Hope this helps.

Garth

Julian - I have a lot of information on 31st Bn and details of many of those who served in it. If you email me and let me know what it is you want, and I'll see what I can find.

Hi Julian:

I forgot to mention, there's an excellent memoir written by Donald Fraser, a member of the 31st battalion, 'The Journal of Private Fraser' ISBN 1896979289 and available from CEF Books located here.

Garth

Thanks everyone. I'll get goping on all of this. I should put in a word for the NAC who were very efficient, reasonable and prompt at sending me the service record of a relative. I just wanted some background as to where this chap served - 89 then 31st.

thanx

Julian - thanks for your message. I will reply once I have had a look at the material I have, but you will find details of the 31st Bn attack on 26.9.16 in my book 'Courcelette' in the Battleground Europe series. As mentioned above, Fraser also gives a good account of it.