Stephen Gard

Horace Martineau (he got a VC in the Boer War, emigrated to NZ and died

in the Great War)

Jack Guy Harry Stebbing Russell (also a captain of monitors - can't

believe his name is that long. Apparently he was known either as Jack or

as Guy... don't blame him!)

Martin

I presume you are checking the CWGC website. A quick whizz through SDGW finds

L/Sgt Stephen Alfred Gard, 1461, Honourable Artillery Company, KIA 20/4/15. Enlisted - Armoury House. Resided - Hampstead

2nd Lt Geoffrey vaughan Marriott, KIA 22/4/18, Notts & Derby

Don't know, of course, if these are your men but look the only likely ones. Nothing on Martineau or Russell. And there are 11 John Hamers!

John

Some info on Horace Martineau for you;

Horace Martineau was born in Bayswater, London, on 31 October 1874, and following his education at University College School, enlisted in the 11th Hussars in 1891 and served with the regiment in Natal and later in India before purchasing his discharge and returning to South Africa in 1895. In 1896 he served under Colonel Sir Robert Baden-Powell in the successful campaign against the Matebele. He then joined the Cape Police and on the outbreak of the Boer War in 1899, joined the Protectorate Regiment (North West Cape Colony) with which he served in the South African campaign of 1899-1902, taking part in the defence of Mafeking.

[ London Gazette, 6 July 1900 ]. Game Tree, Near Mafeking, South Africa, 26 December 1899, Sergeant Horace Robert Martineau, Protectorate Regiment (North West Cape Colony ), South African Forces.

"On 26th December 1899, during the fight at Game Tree, near Mafeking, when the order to retire had been given, Sergeant Martineau stopped and picked up Corporal Le Camp, who had been struck down about ten yards from the Boer trenches, and half dragged, half carried him towards a bush about 150 yards from the trenches. In doing this Sergeant Martineau was wounded in the side, but paid no attention to it, and proceeded to staunch and bandage the wounds of his comrade, whom he afterwards assisted to retire. The firing while they were retiring was very heavy and Sergeant Martineau was again wounded. When shot the second time he was absolutely exhausted from supporting his comrade and sank down unable to proceed farther. He received three wounds, one of which necessitated the amputation of his arm near the shoulder."

Horace Martineau took no further part in the South African war and took up employment with the African Boating Company, a large concern in Durban. Upon the outbreak of the First World War he was living in New Zealand and immediately joined the New Zealand Otago Regiment, serving with the Transport Service of the ANZACS seeing service in Suez and action in the Gallipoli campaign. It was while he was in Gallipoli that he contracted a fever, fell seriously ill, and was invalided back home to New Zealand. He eventually died from the results of the fever on 8th April 1916, aged 41 years. Horace Martineau is buried in Anderson's Bay Cemetery, Duneden. His name also appears on the family grave in Brookwood Cemetery, Surrey, England.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medal entitlement of Lieutenant Horace Martineau - Protectorate Regiment

Victoria Cross

British South Africa Company Medal - inscribed "Rhodesia 1896"

Queen's South Africa Medal - ( 1899-1902 )

clasps "Transvaal", "Defence of Mafeking", "Orange Free State"

Natal Rebellion Medal - ( 1906 )

British War Medal - ( 1914-20 )

Victory Medal - ( 1914-19 )

Good luck with the talk.

Andy. :rolleyes:

I think you will find that John Hamer is the one commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial (KSLI, 22/3/18). The school's website gives an account of a battlefield visit in 2000 where they laid a wreath there to commemorate both Hamer and Marriott.

Hi Trenchie

2nd Lt. John Hamer, joined the 6/K.S.L.I. on 5.2.17. He took over temp. command of "C" Coy on 21.11.17.

I'll look through the War Diary to see if he gets any other mentions. Plus if you want a breif run down of this Battalions movements between 5.2.17 and 22.3.18 and details for the 22nd let me know.

Regards

Annette

Surname MARTINEAU

Given Name Horace Robert (VC)

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 8/1074

Rank Lieutenant

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Otago Infantry Batln

Marital Status M

Last NZ Address Dunedin

Next of Kin Title Mrs

Next of Kin Surname MARTINEAU

Next of Kin Relationship Wife

Next of Kin Address C/- C A Werdmuller Hoopstad Orange River Colony

South Africa

JOHN HAMER

Second Lieutenant

"C" Coy. 6th Bn., King's Shropshire Light Infantry

who died on

Friday 22 March 1918 . Age 20 .

Additional Information: Son of Dr. and Mrs. W. H. Hamer, of 55, Dartmouth Park Hill, London, N.W.

Cemetery: POZIERES MEMORIAL Panel 60

from Basil Willey's autobiography Spots of Time (Chatto & Windus 1965). BW was born in 1897, and became a history professor at Cambridge.

"John Hamer, afterwards my dear friend but alas killed in France in 1918", held the record for the most distinctions for work in preparation for the School Certificate exam at University College School, Hampstead. This record was short-lived, as he was overtaken by Basil, and Basil's friend George..

However, instead of a long summer vacation before going up to University, in July 1916 both BW and JH were drafted into Officer Cadet Battalions at Cambridge, Hamer in No 5. Willey had a miserable time, principally because of bullying instructors. Swapping notes with him one day, Hamer (who had an easier time) reported that his CO had spoken to every man individually, asking him how he found the work and so on. Hamer replied that he found himself very much handicapped by not having had any real previous service; whereupon the CO had said "Never mind, your education will make up for that".

The course ended in November. "I had put in for the West Yorkshire Regiment, not because I had the slightest connection with the district, but simply because John Hamer had done so. In the event, I was posted there and he was not."

Willey had been editor of the school magazine, so that might perhaps have some news from Hamer with 6 KSLI.

Hope this is of some use

Kate