The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain Robert Borras Whiteside ASC

Guest Pete Wood

I am trying to track down a living relative of Captain Robert Borras Whiteside. He died (of illness??) in 1915, while in the ASC and is buried in Les Gonardes cemetery, Versailles.

According to CWGC:

Son of Henry Holmes Whiteside and Emily Borras, his wife; husband of the Hon. Leonore Hamilton Whiteside (daughter of 9th Lord Belhaven and Stenton), of 28, Lower Belgrave St., Eaton Square, London.

I have looked on the web and found an entry that says:

Leonare (sic) Agnes Watson Nisbet Hamilton, Hon., (daughter of 9th Lord Belhaven and Stenton) born 1878, died 1946, Married in 1903 to Capt. Robert Borras Whiteside, died 1915 on active service, Issue.

I presume that "issue" means that the couple had a child (or children)????

I have spoken to the present Lord Belhaven and Stenton, but his side of the family obtained the title when the 9th Lord failed to produce a male heir, and he has no knowledge of these "distant relations."

So can any forum sleuths tell me who the offspring of Captain Whiteside are/were....??

I would like to get a photo of Captain Whiteside and I am guessing that with such a prestigious family background, there must be photos of this man somewhere.

Any suggestions/help would be most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to publically thank Terry Reeves for his help with my question.

Terry has very kindly ascertained that Captain Whiteside has a grand daughter, and has given me a heap of suggestions on how to trace and make contact with this family.

It is not often I ever ask for help, and I never expected anyone to give me more than a quick tip on how I might carry out the research on my own. Instead I find that Terry has trawled through probate records on my behalf, at some distance from where he lives too.

'Our Terry' is too modest to have even taken credit for all the info, by sending it to me direct instead of relaying what he has found on this forum.

I was, and still remain, truly blown away by the kindness, guidance and expertise that has been shown towards me by Terry and other members of this forum.

Today, being a Sunday, it really made me think about the story of The Good Samaritan.....

With deep appreciation,

Pete