The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Service Battalions

Matt Dixon

Whilst researching the Birmingham Pals, I was told that they were the 14,15,16th Service Battalions, Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

Was exactly is meant by "service" battalion?

Ahhhh....I thought it might have something to do with them usually being involved in base duties, stores, clerical work that sort of thing.

The word 'Service' was included in all (?) Kitchener Battalions, battalions such as the 1st & 2nd didn't have the word 'Service' in their title.

I'm sure someone will give us a 'fuller' explaination soon!

It is to do with the New Armies, raised under instruction of Lord Kitchener.

'Your King and Country need you. A call to arms', was published on 11th August 1914 , explaining the conditions of service, and calling for 100,000 men to enlist. This figure was achieved within two weeks. Army Order 324, dated August 21st, 1914, specified that six new Divisions would be created, collectively called Kitchener's Army or K1. It detailed how the new infantry Battalions would be given numbers consecutive to the existing Battalions of their regiment, but with the addition of the word 'Service' after the unit number.

And so on to K2, K3...etc

Thanks to both of you......another of my little mysteries is cleared up!

Matt

So, our friend, Wilfrith Elstob, ending up commanding the 16th (Service) Battalion, Manchester Regiment. Known in these parts as the First Manchester Pals.

(Congrats on getting the book)

John

That big thud you heard was the sound of the penny dropping! :D

Delighted about the book, should arrive next week....£10 for 48 pages! Should be worth it though, even to a tight Southerner like me!