The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Soliders Died Look up

aliecoco

Hi,

Would anyone with the Soldiers Died CD Rom mind looking up a solider for me? His name is Wilfred Leslie Dilloway, gunner 299876. He was only 16 when he died in 1920! I will look him up next time I am at the PRO but just curious to see what the SDCD says.

Thanks alot.

Alie.

Hello Alie

I'm afraid he isn't there. There are only two Dilloway's, a Christopher with the 6th Royal West Kents, and a George James, with 2nd Grenadier Guards.

Hi Chris and Ian (hope your cold is better!),

Thanks alot for the quick responses! Wilfred is a soldier that Cynthia and I discovered at Hove Cemetery. Strange as he is on the CWGC site. His young age prompted me to research him further.

Cheers

Alie.

Hi Bob,

I am going to be a bit over confident and cocky with this reply!!

What day, month, year did the war end?

According to the UK parliament, and the WW1 Grave Status the answer is between 4-8-14 until 31-8-21.

He should be there!

Alie.

PS Terry will be laughing at this!

Hi Alie

There are a lot of chaps not recorded by Soldiers Died, I have come across half a dozen or so K.S.L.I. lads not recorded in SD. It is a case of so many names to record that some got missed one way or another.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Nice to hear from you, hope you are well.

Its an interesting point, I presumed that SDCD had extra info than CWGC. Although only in some cases. Thanks for replying.

Alie.

Alie,

Sadly , it would seem that Wilfred's elder brother 2nd Lt Reginald Herbert Dilloway R.A.F was also killed in France on 15.09.18 aged 19.

1901 Census suggests he was the youngest child and was one of 3 sons and 3 daughters . Possibly born in Fulham. Father shown as a Commercial Bath Club clerk.

His eldest brother Frederick would have been 23 in 1914 so could well have served but seems to have survived.

The poor parents !

Ian (Yes, cold abating !)

Hi Ian,

Having checked on CWGC, you are right about Reginald and Wilfred. Both brothers died during the Great War, same address. Have not attempted to find out about the third yet. Wilfred would of known about Reginald, maybe thats why he 'joined up' so very young. Perhaps you might have to drive to Chili Trench Cemetery next year, if Cynthia gets interested in this thread! I know I definately want to go to Chili Trench Cemetery now.

Alie.

Alie,

Reginald was with 62 Squadron that only went to France in Jan 1918. He was formerly in the Queens Westminster Rifles. No doubt joined the RFC/RAF for the glamour. Let's hope his record is at the N.A.

I am sure one of our aviation experts will be able to tell us more about his career and demise.

Alie

Te He! (in joke)

SDGW is not a complete list by far and its full title includes the dates '1914-19'.

It only has 1,869 names from 1919 (including officers), 27 from 1920 and 1 from 1921. There are also many missing from earlier years who died at home.

Reginald died in a 2 seater aircraft as is buried next to the other crew member 19 year old Lt Broadley (see thread in the aviation section of this forum).

It seems their squadron/flight took on 20 Fokkers. Brave lads.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone do a lookup and tell me how many of 6th Bn. Queens Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) were killed on 30th Nov 1917?

Many thanks

Ian

Ian

SDGW shows 2 Officers and 39 other ranks killed on 30/11/17 of 6th Btn. Your great-uncle is not called up by a search of 6th Btn men as his battalion is not listed on the SDGW record.

Would you like a list of names - if so contact me off forum.

regards

Mike S (shinglma)