The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Rifle Brigade & London Regt

Jock Bruce

Plodding through SDGW, I've come across a number of RB men who were killed serving in 5, 8, 10, 17 and 28 Londons - was there some relationship between the fact these battalions of the Londons were (except the 10th) 'Rifle' units and this tie to the Rifle Brigade? Did the RB have the same relationship to some battalions of the Londons as the Royal Fusiliers did to 1, 2, 3 and 4 Londons ?

Jock Bruce

Jock

This whole situation is very confusing. I have a picture (circa 1905) with two riflemen with silver badges (Rifle Brigade). I knew that one of them was in the Queen Vic's (black badges) during the war - flummoxed to say the least.

Research at Winchester (RGJ Museum), proved that the two guys had joined the Bloomsbury Rifles in 1903/1905 and that the Bloomsbury's were a TF Bn affiliated to the RB. The 1908 reforms amalgamated them with the Victoria & St. George's Rifles (who were affiliated to the KRRC) to form the Vics.

There are several good reference works about, one of the best being Ray Westlake's "The Rifle Volunteers". I was fortunate enough to buy Ray’s own second-hand copy with some very useful annotations.

Let me know if I can be of any further help

Regards

Andy

Because prior to 1908 there was no such thing as the London Regiment, when the TF battalions of it were formed in April 1908, they were all affiliated to a 'parent' regiment, so that they had existing traditions etc. That is the simple explanation of it, in some cases it is far more complex.