The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CLIFTON COLLEGE

Chris Best

578 Old Cliftonians died in the First World War; and in that war, Clifton provided not only the Commander-In-Chief (Douglas Haig) and an Army Commander (William Birdwood), but 23 Major-Generals and 52 Brigadier-Generals. Pretty remarkable.

Does any Pal have a list of OC dead from the School Memorial or Register. If so, would be grateful for a copy via PM. I'm off to Ypres and Vimy in April with a former master from Clifton; it would be nice to ensure he visits as many OC's as possible during our trip.

Cheers

Chris

CHRIS

Give me a bit of time and I will photograph the war memorial for you.Send me your address ,off forum,and I will send you the picture.This will probably be after the Christmas hols.

CHEERS.

JOHN.

Thanks, Steve

Presumably, these are some of the Old Cliftonian? I notice at the top it refers to Gladwin Roll of Honour. Where is/was Gladwin?

Also, curious to note they are not in rank and/or alphabetical sequence. Why would that be?

Sorry if I've misunderstood :rolleyes:

Chris

Thanks, Steve

Presumably, these are some of the Old Cliftonian? I notice at the top it refers to Gladwin Roll of Honour. Where is/was Gladwin?

Also, curious to note they are not in rank and/or alphabetical sequence. Why would that be?

Sorry if I've misunderstood :rolleyes:

Chris

sorry chris pushed wrong button to much xmas tipple what i was going toput was the following i was doing some research and came across this man LT,BRIAN CROOM-JOHNSTON 4TH DENBEIGHSHIRE T/F ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS BORN WREXHAM 16/9/1890 SON OF HARRY/ELIZABETH OF THE ELMS WREXHAM EDUCATED -MOSTYN HOUSE CHESHIRE AND CLIFTON COLLAGE (SPENCES HOUSE) WAS K.I.A. AGED 24 ON 9/5/1915 SORRY ABOUT ERROR BUT HOPE ITS OF SUM USE CHEERS steve

Cheeeeers Shteve, hic no wat u meen :lol:

Thanks for this. With a handle like that, he's got to be interesting. I'll try to remember to let you know.

Chris

Order by Date of Death perhaps? There is a church memorial in Preston which does that except in a sequence of panels around a monument.

Kind regards.

Dave.

Of course, Dave. Understood. A BFO, now it's been pointed out :blink:

John Harold Bacchus 22750 NZ Rifle Brigade and his brother Ralph Lancelot Bacchus 22751 NZ Rifle Brigade are both remembered on the Clifton College Memorial Gateway.

Harry attended Clifton College from May 1887 to December 1888. Lance attended from September 1887 to July 1889.

On September 15, 1916 the brothers were detailed from the Front line to carry the wounded back and while they were performing this work a shell killed them both, as well as the man they were carrying. They are remembered on the Caterpillar Valley NZ Memorial in France.

Cheers, Diane

John Harold Bacchus 22750 NZ Rifle Brigade and his brother Ralph Lancelot Bacchus 22751 NZ Rifle Brigade are both remembered on the Clifton College Memorial Gateway.

Harry attended Clifton College from May 1887 to December 1888. Lance attended from September 1887 to July 1889.

Thanks, Diane. So what were these 2 Kiwis doing at school in Bristol? Presumably, their parents were either rich New Zealanders or Brits on service in NZ? Or, New Zealanders on duty in UK?

Do you know what they did for a living? Presumably, after Clifton, they went into some middle class occupation? So, any idea why a couple of men approaching middle age were private soldiers?

Unfortunately, we won't be going down to The Somme, but these 2 seem to have a tale worth airing.

Cheers

Chris

Do you know what they did for a living?
They were farmers here in NZ. Harry was born in Sarawak and Lance was born in Sydney of English parents. Their father was a Captain under the White Rajah (Brooke) in Sarawak. In the 1870's the family moved to Australia where Capt. Bacchus died leaving his widow with 3 young boys to bring up so she returned to England. In 1899 the family emigrated back to Sydney where Lance married and after his 1st child was born, Lance's mother felt Australia was too hot a country to bring up a baby and insisted they move to NZ. They sold their property in Sydney for a very good price and immigrated to NZ in 1902.

Cheers, Diane

They were farmers here in NZ. Harry was born in Sarawak and Lance was born in Sydney of English parents. Their father was a Captain under the White Rajah (Brooke) in Sarawak. In the 1870's the family moved to Australia where Capt. Bacchus died leaving his widow with 3 young boys to bring up so she returned to England. In 1899 the family emigrated back to Sydney where Lance married and after his 1st child was born, Lance's mother felt Australia was too hot a country to bring up a baby and insisted they move to NZ. They sold their property in Sydney for a very good price and immigrated to NZ in 1902.

Cheers, Diane

Colourful tale, Diane. Still curious, though, why they served in the ranks rather than seeking appointment to a commission.

Still a good tale with which to regale a former Head of English from a school they attended, albeit, briefly.

Chris

John Harold Bacchus 22750 NZ Rifle Brigade and his brother Ralph Lancelot Bacchus 22751 NZ Rifle Brigade are both remembered on the Clifton College Memorial Gateway

Adjacent numbers, they'll be next to each other on The Memorial, and they died on the same day. So sad.

Chris

Adjacent numbers, they'll be next to each other on The Memorial, and they died on the same day. So sad.

Chris

They joined up on the same day (from memory) early February 1916 and left with the 13th Reinforcements, 29th May 1916 on the Tofua. They were at the Sling until 12th August and then went to Etaples until the 23rd August 1916, they then entrained south to the Neuville area where they joined C Company 1st Battalion 3rd NZ Rifle Brigade, 25th August 1916. Lance had two children and his daughter's husband was killed in Italy during WW2.

Cheers, Diane

• 7 years later...

CHRIS

Give me a bit of time and I will photograph the war memorial for you.Send me your address ,off forum,and I will send you the picture.This will probably be after the Christmas hols.

CHEERS.

JOHN.

Please would you be able to send me a picture of the Clifton College war memorial. I would like to confirmation of the First World War names. Presumably it is a memorial to those who died?

• Admin

Ciderman

John hasn't been active on the forum for nearly a year, your best bet would be to contact the archivist at Clifton College for a photo or information.

Michelle

• 4 years later...

Did you get the list of Cliftonians? Would you be able to let me have it too?

I have indexed and and trying to identify people mentioned only by surname  in letters from Captain Edgar Gollin. His  officer contacts came from 

Greenbank prep school, Liverpool,

Clifton College,

New College Oxford

and 13th Btn Kings Liverpool. For which I have the officers list. The ones who came from other regiments are proving a problem.

Chris:  Somehow I missed this topic earlier. I have three copies of the Clifton College Register and they do not contain a list of dead or roll of honour for the Great War.  One would have to go through the register page by page to find the casualties.  My experience is that the kind of information you are looking for might be in a roll of honour in the school magazine, The Cliftonian in the 1918 or 1919 issues.  Unfortunately I do not have these.

Regards, Dick Flory

Thank you very much. Good idea. They have it in the British Library, so I will have a look. 

I do have a book called "old cliftonians who served in the great war"with lists of honours awards regiments and casualties 

Unfortunately that doesnt seem to be in the British Library catalogue!

I have now sent an e-mail which I hope will reach the archivist at Clifton College.

Edited by E Wilcock

The Cliftonian is at Oxford and Cambridge as well as the BL (and the NLWales according to another record) https://copac.jisc.ac.uk/search?title=cliftonian&rn=8

There is also List of Old Cliftonians serving in His Majesty's Forces; December 1916 at the Imperial War Museum library (fingers crossed).

the copy i have covers the whole war ex Manchester libary  

Thank you both - yes I had those results.

However, I have now emailed the archivist at Clifton College, hoping that these lists might be put on line.

The Clifton College commemoration reports says 896 were killed.

There is a centenary memorial book already on line but without the many  names http://oc-online.co.uk/uk/cliftoncollege/uploads/files/75027_Clifton_GreatWar_FINAL.pdf

The Clifton College Archivist has now replied.Unfortunately referring us back to the Registers. of 1925 and 1947.  I own the latter and it has no page by page list of those who served or were killed. Biographies with details are listed only by date of entry to the school.

But he also informed me that  

A list of Great War casualties was published as a special number of the Cliftonian in July 1922; the names as appearing on the Memorial Arch and in the written Roll of Honour. 

The Cliftonian is available via the British Library.  So I will order it up and report back.

I thought there was a centenary scheme to put on line all the names listed on war memorials - I was even contacted by one public school planning to do this - but it seems not Clifton.

In case this is useful:

http://cliftonrfchistory.co.uk/match/ccollvmw1891/ccollvmw1891.htm

Clifton College    
Lionel Edward Pilkington    Born 2nd December 1873. [3rd] son of Col. Richard, C.B., of Rainford Hall, Lancs. (and Louisa, dau. of Arthur Sinclair, of St Helens). Clifton College 1883-1892. Kings College, Cambridge. Rugby ‘blue,’ 1893, 1894; Athletics ‘blue’ (hurdles) 1894, 1895. Joined 2nd Vol. Batt., South Lancs. Regt., 1896. Lieut., Imperial Yeomanry, 1900. Served in the South African War, 1899-1902. Served in the Great War, 1914-19 (Lieut.-Col., South Lancs. Regt.; C.M.G., 1916; mentioned in despatches; mentioned twice in Secretary of State's list for ‘valuable services’). Hon. Col., 5th Batt., The Prince of Wales' Volunteers, 1934-45. A colliery proprietor. Chairman of Richard Evans and Co., Ltd. J.P., 1909. Married, 1902, Naomi Evelyn, dau. of Thomas Beckett, of Eccleston Square, London, W. Of 19, Greenbank Drive, Sefton Park, Liverpool, in 1951. Died 9th June 1952.

Richard Griffith    Born 5th October 1873. Son and h. of Samuel, Medical Officer, of Portmadoc. Oswestry Grammar School. Clifton College 1888-1891. Clare College, Cambridge. Rugby Blue 1894 and 1895. At the London Hospital. M.R.C.S.; L.R.C.P., 1902. Medical Officer to the Cambrian Railway. Medical Referee to Prudential Assurance Co. Of Penclogwyn, Portmadoc. J.P. for Co. Carnarvon. Served in the Great War, 1914-19 (Major, 6th Royal Welsh Fusiliers; in the Dardanelles and Palestine, 1914-16; transferred to the R.A.M.C.; Lieut.-Col., 1917; in Palestine and Mesopotamia; wounded; mentioned twice in despatches). Died May 21, 1927, aged 53.

Kath.