The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Village War Memorial

lionboxer

We are currently researching the men on our war memorial in the village of Bergh Apton, Norfolk and could do with some help please. Charles WW BRACEY is enscribed there but we have no other details except that there were other Bracey's living in the village, although their relationship cannot be verified. Also, does anyone know about 392 Road Construction Company, RE? Another one of our men was with this unit when he was killed 9th Feb 1917. Thank you very much for your help, no doubt "I'll be back" with further questions.

Regards,

Lionboxer

There is only one man of that name on the Commonwealth war Graves Commission site:

Cpl Charles William Bracey

Lake Superior Regiment (Motor) RCIC

Age23

Died 15.8.1944

Son of Arthur Thomas Bracey and Harriet Bracey, South Fort George, British Columbia, Canada.

Buried Hottot-les-Bayues War Cemetery.

It is not unusual to find men on UK war memorials who perhaps had emigrated with their parents, but stll had famiy left in the UK. Assuming that this is the right man of course.

Terry Reeves

I am completing my local war memorial. Do not trust any of it unless it all checks out, I have found mistakes on ours.

SDGW lists Braceys, 34 of them two have links to Norfolk but thats it.

Any idea of Regiment? Have you located him on the 1901 census? was he from the village?

John