The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDGW help

stephenh

I am at present researching Pte Maurice Tuddenham of the Irish Guards, who i'm led to believe was KIA with the 2nd Bn on 30/9/15. Problem being that he's not coming up for me on the CWGC. Would any Pal be so kind to look him up on Soldiers Died so that I can confirm he was a casualty.

Stephen

Stephen

Maurice Tudenham

Pte 6898

2nd Btn Irish Guards

Born-Kilkenny,Co Kilkenny

Enlisted-Deptford Essex

KIA 30/9/15

France & Flanders

One "D" instead of two in his name

Regards Doug

Stephen

Just to add there was 39 other men of the 2nd Btn KIA on that date.

Regards Doug

Just for further confirmation Maurice Tudenham's, name appears in Appendix 'C' page 211 of 'The Irish Guards in the Great War - The Second Battalion' by Rudyard Kipling as follows:- Tudenham, Maurice,6898, Pte., k. in a. 30.9.15

Lt. John Kipling, the author's son, was also in the 2nd Battalion and was kia 3 days before on the 27.9.15. The following is recorded on page 28:-

They (2nd Battalion) were taken out of the line "wet, dirty, and exhausted" on the night of the 30th September when, after a heavy day's shelling, the Norfolks relieved them........ They had been under continuous strain since the 25th of the month, and from the 27th to the 30th in a punishing action which had cost them as far as could be made out, 324 casualties, including 101 missing.........