The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Fighting Newfounderlander: A History of the Royal Newfounderland R

MartH

Hello

Was searching for another book but this turned up, at £100, plus postage, which is real cheap. DW is tatty, pm for information.

Suspect it will be gone soon.

Regards

Mart

you can get the reprint considerably cheaper,

Mick

Hello

You can get the reprint much cheaper, but if someone is desperate for the original, this is a very low price.

Regards

Mart

Funny, I was having a conversation like this with a bookseller yesterday. Yes, the reprints are cheaper, in better nick, and readily available.

But on the other hand, I'd always like the original, in spite of cost, tattyness, etc.

I guess it depends what you want it for - research, making notes in the margin, and so on - the reprint: but as a collectors item - the original, every time for me.

Hello

Its a new debate, some of us remember the old days when there wern't reprints, and even famous authors did not have their own personal copies of the rare 1917 and 1918 Military Operations.

Interestingly for this one the catalogue entry is mis-spelt, Hence the low price, this is a very rare book, (in the orginal) rarer than say 1918 Vol 5 1918, and the last copy I saw sold was over £300 - 5 years ago.

I'm very lucky a lot of my collection is mint, or near mint.

One problem I have with a lot of reprints, is that they do not do the maps in colour and the binding is often not as good, I wonder if they will out last the originals? N & M press are to be commended for the excellent CD roms.

The reprints should be improved versions of the orginals - Long long ago (early 1980's), when I assisted a little in the reprints there was talk about enhancing the volumes, for example, selling the book with a new improved index, a cd rom copy and a search facilty across the text. (This was pre internet days.) All of which could have been during the production and scanning of the text for the reprint. There was talk of producing a completed addendum set, and even changing the volumes. Now they even reprint from not the revised volume like War in the Air Vol 1!

But in the end, most are done the cheapest way without softback, and what they think a person is prepared to pay, to get the best return on investment. - Its a business.

But in the early 80's the IWM didn't even know what a full set was, and had even misplaced some of the rarer volumes.

One of my favourite tales is that when I once talked to an old army officer who told me during the Fall of France in 1940 he went especially via the French Embassy in Paris to make sure their copy of Operations in Persia did not fall into German hands! He was a real historian of the GW not like us amateurs, and the description of Paris in panic.....

Regards

Mart

The reprints should be improved versions of the orginals - Long long ago (early 1980's), when I assisted a little in the reprints there was talk about enhancing the volumes, for example, selling the book with a new improved index, a cd rom copy and a search facilty across the text. (This was pre internet days.) All of which could have been during the production and scanning of the text for the reprint.

Regards

Mart

Are you sure about this? Such technology did not exist at this time; I had a state of the art computer in the early 80s which had 8K memory in it. CD drives for PCs were many, many years away and there was no software to convert to anything like pdf.

The only reprints I know of in the 80s in respect of the OH were the Shearer Publications, which were straight photographic reprints of original copies. The mistake he made with these was to reprint common volumes which everyone had, and not the rare ones - you are certainly right that even "famous authors" (as you call them) did not have them; when I sold John Giles library he had very few and a well known lady author was the first to ask me if I had Cambrai or any of the 1918 volumes up for grabs.

Yes

But it wasn't on ABE when I searched yesterday, also the title was mispelt, as now, and the other site did not work with a fixed link, hence no link from me.

Thought you wern't interested in orginals?

Regards

Mart

I collect originals and use reprints as a working copy. If you are careful and search hard enough you can get a bargain. I will add nicholsons book to my search list.

Mick

Hello

I too, remember getting one of the earlier twin disc drive IBM PC's and the graphics card coming as chips from the USA in a plastic tube you mounted yourself. The most peculiar thing was that the PC itself was leased from a music hire shop, because IBM thought that the leasing of pianos and PC's was a similar business proposition.

Yes I'm sure about the discussions, and I was on the very sidelines, but my post gave the impression of the wrong dates, apologies. The early 1980's where when the discussion started, and we're not talking about PC's or PDf's but mainframes/mini's etc and the real discussions about this were post 1987 up to 1995, when the market was becoming more PC orientated.

I think Shearer Publications did the ones out of copywrite, not choice, isn't it 50 years in the UK and the rare ones where still in copywrite then.

As for well known/famous authors not having them, it just shows how lucky we are now.

Regards

Mart

I think copyright is how ever many years from the author's death, so in actual fact could be considerably longer than we might expect - depends how long-lived the author was! It's certainly a problem for Sir Cliff...all his early numbers are speedign towards free copyright, so he won't be able to afford the Bermudian estate. Shame.

It's certainly a problem for Sir Cliff...all his early numbers are speedign towards free copyright, so he won't be able to afford the Bermudian estate. Shame.

Thats ok he can rent it out to Prime Ministers....oh hold on, do they pay or not?

Mick

The only reprints I know of in the 80s in respect of the OH were the Shearer Publications, which were straight photographic reprints of original copies.

Hello

Persia and Rhineland were reprinted or the first public editions where in 1987.

Regards

Mart

You never know when you can find a bargain. Last year I purchased a very nice copy of "The Fighting Newfoundlander", with a somewhat tatty dust jacket, for $130.00 Cdn on abebooks.

you can get the reprint considerably cheaper,

Mick

Just ordered it from Canada for £22 incl p+p :) but expect dealer to come back with a postal surcharge :(

Chris

• 2 months later...

The reprint of Nicholson's "The Fighting Newfoundlander" is great to have for those who, like me, can't aford a copy of the origional. The only disipointing thing about the reprint aside from modern dedications by current politicians, is the fact that the reprint does not have the fold out maps that the origional has. Not a big deal but they would have been a nice addition.

• 4 months later...

At the risk of causing a stampede if not a great deal of jealousy and outrage I feel I have to tell you that less than a year ago I purchased a first edition in v.g condition for £10.00.

The seller, a friend of mine, was delighted with the price as he'd paid £5.00.

Before you ask the answer is NO. It's part of my pension fund and i'm not selling it till I need the money.

Sorry pals

Garth

We all get bargains, and lucky. I once paid £18 for the rarest English Language Official History: History Of The Blockade, Emergency Departments, by H. W. Carless Davis, C.B.E, ex Foreign Office Library in of all places a Maggs Bros Catalogue, still makes me smile.

Nice to know that they are bargains still out there, did you friend know the market rate?

Regards,

Mart

We all get bargains, and lucky. I once paid £18 for the rarest English Language Official History: History Of The Blockade, Emergency Departments, by H. W. Carless Davis, C.B.E, ex Foreign Office Library in of all places a Maggs Bros Catalogue, still makes me smile.

Nice to know that they are bargains still out there, did you friend know the market rate?

Regards,

Mart

No he didn't, but then neither did I till I read this thread. Just looked like a good book and I offered to buy it off him when he'd finished. Obviously a case of right place at the right time.

Garth

Some day I hope to purchase the original. I was sorely disappointed when the maps were left out of the reprint. Being a BA in Geography I always like to flip from the description on the page to the map in question.

I still hold out that some day I will find it amongst some books at a local garage sale for $1.

Some day....