The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Library Database & Amazon

salientpoints

Hi all,

You may find this of interest from the Independent today.

"British Library opens a new chapter in its history: helping Amazon storm the antiquarian book market."

http://news.independent.co.uk/digital/news...sp?story=467027

Ryan

The Independent story claims that the British Library records are "second to none". They are not. They are very definitely second to the US Library of Congress.

If you are groping for rare Great War books either by title or author it's worth trying the Library of Congess. it will give both US and British editions and generally German Language editions.

I have found a number of translations of German books published in the UK about the war unlisted by the BL but on the LoC database - complete with their German originals and the US edition.

Abe books will give you access to US dealers too - frequently prices are considerably lower than those offfered by UK dealers.

A good point worth noting David but can you confirm where you can access this database for free online? I think the point here is you get a fantastic free database via amazon for free - regardless whether anyone is selling a book via the site you can pull records off then try elsewhere.

Ryan

• 10 years later...

I quite agree about the Library of Congress it is an excellent resource. It has been noticeable over the last 12 months that copies their photographs have appeared on for sale e bay, I wonder what they will think of that.

TR