The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Regular Chaplain to the Forces

chris basey

Have just come across this photo of the Rector who joined this parish in 1920. Have established that he served before WW1. His rank is Colonel so was probably DACG but my knowledge of medals isn't god enough to gues at what he is wearing. I think there are six of them.

I am sure that there is going to be a member who will be able to come up with the answer, please!

post-1-1069777655.jpg

First of all it reproduces badly on the net. Could you zoom in on ribbons and resend?

Secondly, I assume you have his name? If so, various versions of the Army List give decorations.

I consider myself pretty good at decoding ribbons, but would rather someone else had a shot and I moderated from the sidelines.

Coward and Bar, etc

By the way, was "god enough" a good god pun?

Hello LB

Thank you for your reply. A suggestion of OBE prompted me to look at LG where I found that he was gazetted on 23rd June 1915 as a Member of the Third Class, or Companion of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George.

Today, I have discovered an obituary published in the Parish Magazine of St Nicholas Church, Thames Ditton where he died in 1936 having been Vicar for six years.

The Salient dates of his career are:

1899 to 1901 South Africa (twice mentioned in despatches and awarded seven years promotion for bravery in the field at the battle of Paardeburgh.

1901 to 1911 Somaliland (only C of E Chaplain to wear the Somaliland medal), Chelsea Barracks, Shorncliffe, Malta, Portsmouth and Aldershot.

1914 Chaplain to 1st Field Ambulance, went through Retreat from Mons (confirms 1914 Star).

Senior Chaplain to 1st Division, then of 1st Army and eventually First Army Corps.

1915 was mentioned in despatches and awarded CMG.

1916 Returned from France to become ACG Western Command, then ACG Aldershot Command where he ended his 23 years Army service (1896 to 1919).

1920 – 1923 Rector of Acle (Norfolk)

1923 – 1929 Vicar of Kings Lynn

1929 – 1930 Vicar Fretherne, Gloucestershire

1930 – 1936 Vicar of Thames Ditton

So, would I be correct in assuming that his decorations were:

CMG, QSA. KSA [somaliland medal?] and trio

The man in question:

The Rev. (Colonel) Jacob BLACKBOURNE CMG, MA Chaplain to the Forces 1st Class

A man whom I would like to have known!

Best wishes

From War Srvices of Officers on retired pay 31 Dec 1924:

Rev J Blackbourne, Chaplain 1st Class, Retired Pay,

SA War 1899 to 1901, QSA with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, SA 1901, MiD LG 8/2/01 and 10/9/01, promoted Chaplain 3rd Class, [note, no KSA]

E Africa 1904 MiD 2/9/1904, Clasp Jidbali, Clasp Somaliland,

1914 star [no mention clasp], BWM VM.

Worth another look at the ribbons now.

[seniority as Chaplain 1st Class was from 29/11/1910 according to AL Aug 1914]