The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Shot at Dawn

Guest bismarck

Might the Australian Government have resisted Haig's attempts to subject their troops to the Death Penalty because they feared that the Army Establishment might be prejudiced against the so called Wild Colonial Boys?

The popular theory is that after having men executed in the Boer War, Australia wasn't going to let the same happen in WW1, plus the fact that the men of the AIF were all volunteers might have had something to do with it.

Though two Australians who served in the New Zealand army were executed plus two Australian soldiers serving in England were executed as their crime was murder.

The Australian war memorial magazine 'Wartime' had an article about this quite recently.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Bismarck & Andrew

There was a very good book on the Bushveldt Carbineers written in prison by one of the Australians actually sentenced to death. I think it was called The Empire's Scapegoats. The strange part seemed to be that he was released only after the Boer Commander said that he was amazed at his harsh treatment.

Bye

William Moore's book The thin Yellow Line has a chapter devoted to the Australians and why there was resistance to the men being executed.

Worth a read

John

There was a very good book on the Bushveldt Carbineers written in prison by one of the Australians actually sentenced to death. I think it was called The Empire's Scapegoats. The strange part seemed to be that he was released only after the Boer Commander said that he was amazed at his harsh treatment.

I think this is the book written by George Witton who was sentenced to penal servitude for life (as opposed to Morrant and Hancock who were shot). I think Witton was released by about 1905 at the latest. Did he publish this book in about 1909/10? As I undertsand it, Mother Nation pressure saw to it that his book about the trial had a very limited shelf life.

IMHO the events surrounding this episode was not amongst Kitchener's finest.

There are a number of stories that the Australians did carry out 'unofficial' executions after holding trials within the unit. (Kangaroo Courts for want of a better phrase). This is alluded to in, for example the guidebook accompanying the 'Unquiet Graves' route. These rumours have been mentioned before on the forum, but I don't think any firm conclusion was reached as to whether they were apocryphal or not.

I think this is the book written by George Witton who was sentenced to penal servitude for life (as opposed to Morrant and Hancock who were shot). I think Witton was released by about 1905 at the latest. Did he publish this book in about 1909/10? As I undertsand it, Mother Nation pressure saw to it that his book about the trial had a very limited shelf life.

IMHO the events surrounding this episode was not amongst Kitchener's finest.

Hi Signals

Witton's book 'Scapegoats of the Empire' is indeed very rare. If an original copy is seen, it is very very expensive unfortunately.

Cheers

Andrew

There are a number of stories that the Australians did carry out 'unofficial' executions after holding trials within the unit. (Kangaroo Courts for want of a better phrase). This is alluded to in, for example the guidebook accompanying the 'Unquiet Graves' route. These rumours have been mentioned before on the forum, but I don't think any firm conclusion was reached as to whether they were apocryphal or not.

Here's one link to an old topic on the same subject

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...853&hl=executed

Hi Signals

Witton's book 'Scapegoats of the Empire' is indeed very rare. If an original copy is seen, it is very very expensive unfortunately.

Cheers

Andrew

Looks like a reprint has been done this year. A large number of copies are available starting at US $39.95 from a firm called Rose's Books in the USA.

Try searching for "George Witton" on Abe's Books.

I have no connection with either Abe's Books or Rose's Books. I just thought some Pals might be interested.

Hi Signals

Witton's book 'Scapegoats of the Empire' is indeed very rare.  If an original  copy is seen, it is very very expensive unfortunately.

Cheers

Andrew

Looks like a reprint has been done this year. A large number of copies are available starting at US $39.95 from a firm called Rose's Books in the USA.

Try searching for "George Witton" on Abe's Books.

I have no connection with either Abe's Books or Rose's Books. I just thought some Pals might be interested.

Cheers for that Tony. Certainly cheaper than the few original copies going around.