The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tommy

n cherry

I concur with Broomers. And I even admit that would have concurred with his error - thanks LST_164!

Brig Holmes signed my copy of Tommy following a presentation of the book in aid of the Army Benevolent Fund.

Roxy

I've never really read anything by Richard Holmes before except his two war walk books but have recently started his Tommy book and only got through the first 50 pages or so....does anyone else think this book is basically broad brush albeit with some useful detailed facts? I was slightly concerned though to read on page 37 that the Battle of Loos started on the 26th September 1915 and on page 41 that the 39th (Welsh) Division fought at Mametz Wood in July 1916.

I would have expected something better....has anyone else found similar errors in his other books?

In my ignorance I really enjoyed the book, a great over view to the uninitiated I would say.

Jon

I have to say that I was rather disappointed with 'Tommy': written in a turgid, plodding style and full of huge quotes. I finished it, but was happy to see the back of it. Much prefer 'Death's Men'!

I disagree. One of the strengths of Tommy as work of popular history is the use he makes of memoirs and autobiographies of a range of public and not so public figures. And often from sources now out of print.

I disagree. One of the strengths of Tommy as work of popular history is the use he makes of memoirs and autobiographies of a range of public and not so public figures. And often from sources now out of print.

I'm with you Alan.

Jon

• 2 months later...

As an introduction to the British Army and the British soldier of WWI, I found Holmes' 'Tommy' an excellent and sometimes moving book.

His mention of the, *cough* onanistic situation in the trenches was, perhaps, a bit unnecesary :rolleyes::lol:

As to Prof Holmes' being a 'popular' historian, well, he has to find a market, and he is after all giving a wider audience to his expertise as an academic military historian. And who would you have 'popularising' military history, Richard Holmes or the vacuous Dan Snow, and that's being generous.

Chris

I'm in the middle of reading Tommy but I must say that it is my stand-by book for when I have nothing else.

I do find it informative in a, as has previously been said, broad brush way.

Hywyn

PS Thanks to Chris CMF above I now have a new word in my cursing vocab and I am looking forward to using it on my drinking pals this evening. Onanist...bet they wont know what it means!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have read REDCOAT TOMMY and SAHIB. I am a great fan of Richard Holmes and love India and everything about it, but did not enjoy SAHIB as much as the others! I went to a talk in Canterbury given by Richard Holmes and found him a brilliant speaker, who was so good you could hear a pin drop! There is no doubt, he knows his stuff and sells many books and successfully lectures and makes a living out of it-more than some of us do, so can we really critisise him ( and I am not saying anybody is before I get shot down!).

I've enjoyed all Holmes's books and especially 'Riding the Retreat' and 'The Little Field Marshal'. I found 'Tommy' to be of the high standard I've come to expect from him. I was lucky enough to obtain a launch CD from the publishers in which he talks about his writing. If you've not heard him speak then arrange to do so at once. He holds his audience in the palm of his hands and cares as passionately about the Tommies of 2007 as he does of those of 1914.

i too was disappointed in the book, expected more in depth details as to tommies life and service conditions, but having said that, i have never written a book.

Given the difficulties associated with summarising the organisation, structure, tactics, social composition and outlook of the vast entity that was the BEF of 14-18 I think that Prof. Holmes has done a remarkably good job. So..it's 'populist'...well, so what? I use it in my own academic studies, with no adverse comments from my seniors whatsoever. It is lucidly written, with Holmes' usual wonderfully pertinent turn of phrase, and I consider it to be one of the very best single-volume histories of the British soldier in the Great War to come out of the publishing houses in recent times. So there. !

Pals,

I have just finished reading Tommie's for the second time, "GREAT BOOK" is all I can say.

Ian. :P

Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to hear Richard Holmes give his talk entitled "Tommy" at Leicester University. Like all the best lectures it was open to the public (hence my presence) and the room was packed. I haven't read the book but instinctively feel that it couldn't possibly match listening to the man himself. If you ever get the opportunity to hear him speak - go!

Regards

Jan

This is a review that I wrote on "Tommy" when it was released in Australia.

Tommy: The British Soldier on the Western Front, 1914-1918

Richard Holmes

RRP $24.95

The army that Britain fielded between 1914 and 1918 represented, as Richard Holmes reminds us in the introduction of Tommy, the greatest collective endeavour of the whole of British history. Its 5.7 million men were part of complex operational and social structures that have often been the subject of generalisations and myths. In Tommy, Holmes sets about readdressing many of the traditional assumptions held about the British army and its soldiers' experiences on the Western Front. His central thesis is that it was diverse in every possible manner, and that generalisations fit it poorly.

Tommy is an ambitiously broad study, incorporating topics as diverse as social composition, command structure, tactics and homosexuality in the ranks. Holmes begins his study at the top, working his way down, from the social and regional composition of the BEF, through its command structure and then down into the trenches. As a result, his approach and subject matter remain varied and interesting. By necessity though, themes are dealt with in a rather concise manner. Subjects that have previously warranted entire books- the role of the Corps, or chemical warfare for example- are dealt with relatively concisely, over a dozen pages or so.

Holmes is of the belief that that the most reliable sources are those that were created during the war, as opposed to accounts written during the 192Os; the depression era memoir histories that typically portrayed the war as futile and poorly led. Hence, his argument is mostly based on contemporary private records. He quotes these in lengthy blocks throughout the text, a feature that sometimes bogs the narrative down and relies upon the reader's interpretive skills.

Much of Holmes' evidence relies upon previously published sources, and some of his arguments align with those already made by revisionist academics. Hence, well- read Scholars may not find much new here. For the rest though, Tommy is a readable history that makes sense of a complex military organisation, its diverse experiences, and the historical problems that confront those studying it.

Reviewed by Michael Molkentin

I was interested to see the critics of Tommy and the book review from Australia. Many are critical of the book, (Although some are praising it too) - one thing we must remember is that Richard Holmes seems to have got it right-he can make a living out of his hobby, I wonder how many of us can say the same?

• 1 month later...

I just finished reading Tommy and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it gives a good overview of many interesting topics which were unfamiliar to me. I’m grateful for the fuller picture of life for members of the BEF than I have received from the usual books I read which describe particular battles. I also appreciate that Mr. Holms seemingly makes every effort to be balanced – simply not repeating received wisdom about commanders, soldiers, etc. His obvious respect and affection for the BEF comes through on every page.

I thoroughly enjoyed it I must admit.

It's a good introduction to our little world, which may bring in more like minded souls to join our merry throng!

A vast subject.

And his love for said subject shows admirably.

just my tuppenyworth ;)

I'm off now to read my Kipling's- 'The Irish Guards in the Great War' - (or was that Keegan? :rolleyes: )

toodle pip

Ivan

I read Tommy on holiday a couple of years back and I thought it was a great book. I thought it dealt well with personal attitudes and perspectives related to experiences (which is, I think, how I see it) rather than a history of the war. There is a lot in it. I thought it told me about 'Tommy' and the millions like him. I enjoyed the read.

Charles Messenger's book ' A Call to Arms' dealt well with much of the details of army life and David Stevenson's '1914-1918' is, in my view, an excellent one volume history. But I am not a professional historian.

I am reading Sahib now - so far so good but my sense is it is covering less ground 1900-1913 (which I would like) but I am a way off the end of it yet.

• 1 year later...

Good day all

Recently read Tommy. Don't recall seeing it here in Canada so I picked it up when I was last in London. Hence this late post. I though it was a pretty good read overall. One or two doubtful facts but nothing critical. It is the somewhat obscure, everyday detail regarding the war (plus anything regarding the RFA!!) that I always find most interesting and this book provides enough of that to suit my limited needs. A number of posts describe it as a broad brush, general overview of the soldiers war and that I think is about right. I would recommend it. Cheers all.

Colin

• 6 months later...

Broad brush - yes. Populist - yes. Enjoyable - hmmmmmmm. I read voraciously the first part and then kind of fizzled out. I am now reading "Britain's Last Tommies" by Richard Van Emden which in my opinion is even more populist but has gripped me for longer.

Both of these books are probably marketed at people like me; interested in history in general; interested in WW1 specifically; smart enough to understand three syllable words yet not quite brave enough o take on the tomes of academe. I love Holmes's style as a broadcaster and all power to his elbow to bring this stuff to the viewing public. (Yes I much prefer him to the "vacuous"!!!! Dan Snow too). I am just a little shocked that I didn't love this book as much I expected I would

Once I have graduated from these books I may try the hard stuff.

• 5 years later...