The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Chelsea Pensioners

StuMac

Hello from Australia,

I have heard the Chelsea Pensioners mentioned in the media over here on an off for quite a while, I also saw pictures of these gentlemen in their splendid red uniforms. Are they retired military?

Many thanks

Stuart B)

The Chelsea Pensioners are retired, batchelor 'other ranks' from the British forces. They live in the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, London where all accommodation, food and clothing costs are paid in return for their relinquishing their military pensions (not their state old-age pensions though).

The Hospital was instituted by King Charles II in 1682 as a home for old soldiers - a function it still fulfills.

The pensioners number 350 and each has their own room in the Hospital (this does not mean that the Pensioners have some illness or disability - in fact they all have to be reasonably fit to gain admittance). They wear a dark blue uniform for every day use and have the famous red coat for 'walking out' about town.

When they die, the CPs have the right to be buried in a special plot in Brookwood Military Cemetery, Surrey (or not if they so choose). They get a Non-World War Pattern headstone - similar to an official CWGC war grave headstone but with the corners clipped out. Their plot is maintained by CWGC under contract. Visitors to Brookwood often miss this large plot as it is hidden behind trees at the back of the large Canadian plot.

See their website at

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.org.uk/

Sorry, my posting and Lee's crossed. Having had a guided tour of the Hospital, I can say it is well worth while if you get a chance. They are a fine bunch! The Royal Hospital is where the annual Chelsea Flower Show is held and is next to the National Army Museum.

Hello again

Thankyou very much for the information and web site link, the site has answered all my questions on the Chelsea Pensioners. What a grand place and imagine all those stories told over dinner every night.

Thankyou

Stuart B)