The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Info on photo-What does it say?

Guest cscaife

I have a photo of Capt. Kenneth Rowley Forde (brother to Lt. -Col. Gordon Miller Forde) and once again the writing on the back of the photo isn't very legible. Could someone please assist me in determining what it might read? Thank you:

Commanding Lewis ..?.. Section 2nd Buff's (East Kent) Regiment. Went to France. Killed July 1915

In addition, I think it should read 3rd Buff's.

Please see post under Soldiers, Lt-Col G.M.Forde, Inniskilling Fusiliers, posted Nov 24/03, for further details and photo

Soldier Died has K R Forde as a Lieutenant in the 3rd Buffs.

The missing word could be 'gun', as in Lewis Gun Section.

I hopr this is of use.

Forde may be listed in SDGW/CWGC as 3rd Bn, presumably because his was a Special Reserve commission, but since the 3rd never left UK he would not be serving in that battalion when KIA.

So I guess 2nd Bn is probably correct.

Jock Bruce

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mike Barry

Forde Kenneth Rowley Lt kia 23/07/15 3 E Kent buried Dranoutre Churchyard Belgium.( This is located about 8 miles SW of Ypres)

From The Cross of Sacrifice Vol 1.

More details can made at the Regimental Museum

Queens Regiment

Inner Bailey

Dover Castle

Kent

CT16 1HU

Tel: 01304 240121

Lt KR Forde belonged to the 3rd Battalion and was attached to the 2nd Battalion Buffs (correct Jock).

He was promoted to Lt on 7/1/15. He proceeded overseas to F&F on 13/5/15 and joined his battalion in woods east of Poperinghe on 15/5/15 along with four 2LTs.

On the night of 20/21 July they relieved the 2nd East Surrey Regiment for an 8 day spell in trenches just N and NE of Wulverghem. Thats all I have at the moment.

Is there any chance of a scan of this officer please - I am building a database of Buffs officers.

Michael

I've just noticed the photo of the fine chap on the other thread - I missed it 1st time round.

Edited by Michael