The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Gordon’s British Battles And Medals 7th edition

per ardua per mare per terram

Has anyone got the new edition of Gordon’s British Battles And Medals revised by John Hayward, Diana Birch and Richard Bishop? What's it like?

• 7 years later...

Thought I'd bump this as the book is currently heavily discounted at Naval and Military Press - can anyone comment?

Thanks

Alan

For Medal Collectors it is the "Bible" giving details of all official British Campaign Medals, together with awarded clasps/bars and the history behind them.

It details the main units entitled to the awards and in the latest version shows examples of the medal naming styles. Where as WW1 is only as small proportion of the book, it includes many medals which turn up with WW1 groups.

At £25.00 it is an absolute steal! I would not be without my copy and find it totally invaluable.

Sepoy

Personally, I prefer the previous edition. The new edition doesn't have any coloured pictures of the medals. I have a copy but seldom use it.

All the best,

Gary

I have ordered the recent copy from N&MP, couldn't resist that price, but as usual delivery is a tad slow.

The book arrived this morning, well worth £25, I'm not sure I would have been impressed if I had paid the original price of £85 though. I don't like the way they have organised the medal ribbon charts at the end.