The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

KIA or DOW

Sgt York

I'm trying to establish if the following Canadian soldier was KiA or DoW.

I've checked the online Bn War Diary, which states that 2 soldiers were wounded in an accident on the day given for his death of 31st March 1915. I've no way of knowing if one of these men is 'my man', as the bn had taken casualties before this date.

8002 Cpl Donald McMillan/MacMillan

2nd Bn Canadian Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regt)

Date of Death 31/03/1915

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ronnie.

The CEF Roll of Honour (Edward H. Wigney) has the following info:

8002 Cpl McMillan, Donald

2nd Bn

Date of death: March 31 1915

Buried: Boulogne Eastern Cemetery (overseas troops)

Died of Wounds.

Sgt York

As you indicate, this does not necessarily mean that he was one of the two men wounded that day. He could have been wounded earlier and simply died on that day - more so since he is buried in Boulogne in a cemetery used by the large hospitals on the coast.

These kinds of mysteries in some cases were actually answered by the original CWGC register details; where things like 'killed in action' and 'died of wounds' (though not in all entries) were fairly common to see. This supports my position, that the original CWGC register entries should have been transcribed in FULL to its internet counterpart.

It is my view, that ALL information available, is valuable to the researcher today. We greatly value EACH and EVERY shred of information we can find.

It is my understanding that the CWGC does not, because they don't want to encourage inaccuracies generated from next of kin when info was originally gathered. But we have to recognize, that nothing is perfect, some of the current data from dates of death to misspelled fore and surnames, incorrect regiments, ages etc., etc., etc., are common place, and are to be expected.

Ted Wigney used both the original CWGC registers and service records to determine cause of death in his roll of honour book. Some researchers will not have access to these, and not benefit from knowing a circumstance of death. (Having to rely exclusively on SDGW)

I feel very passionate about this issue...do I have any supporters?

David

You misunderstand the situation slightly.

All the Cause of Death info WAS transferred to the computer database. It is simply not yet available on the internet copy. It is still provided when you request a print-out direct from CWGC.

I have taken up this point with CWGC and they are currently looking at whether this data can be made available when the full system is in place. Remember, though, the vast majority of the 1.7 million entries have no info on cause of death.

Meanwhile, if anyone wants an original register check, I will always be happy to do so from my set.

8002 Corporal D. McMillan, 2nd Bn, Can. Infy, is listed as wounded in Militia Order No. 160 of 1915 and is listed as 8002 Corporal Donald McMillan, 2nd Bn, Died of Wounds in Militia Order No. 177 of 1915. This information is from the "Official List of Casualties to Members of the Canadian Expeditionary Force, compiled to June 30, 1915."

Regards. Dick Flory