If any one can help Id appreciate a picture of the grave detailed below

Name: HAMBLETON, ALBERT

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Coldstream Guards

Date of Death: 21/02/1917

Service No: 8186

Awards: MM

Additional information: Son of William and Mary Smith Hambleton of 48, Greenway St., Small Heath, Birmingham. Born at Sparkbrook.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Screen Wall. C. 1 "U." 516.

Cemetery: BIRMINGHAM (BRANDWOOD END) CEMETERY

post-3871-1168949367.jpg

Thanks

Coldstreamer

My grandparents are buried at Brandwood End. I'll probably be going in the next 3-4 weeks and would be happy to take a photograph for you, if no one else beats me to it. The memorial screen wall is situated beneath some large trees so not sure how well it will photograph, but happy to give it a go.

Regards

Jan

Jan

I will try and find a map of the cemetery so you can find his grave as easily as possible

Thanks for the offer - its appreciated

Coldstreamer

My understanding is that the names which are on the memorial screen wall commemmorate men buried in the cemetery but whose graves have no headstone. This is something I can check when I'm there as there's an office on site. It looks like he's in plot 516 section 1 or C1 (not sure how the sections are numbered) I would guess the "U" signifies unmarked. Another possibility is that although there is no CWGC headstone there may be a family stone and other family members buried in that plot.

Regards

Jan

Id never notice before but look like he doesnt have an actual grave - be interesting to see what you find

cheers again

Thanks for the picture - could you email me a high res copy if possible ?

Hello Coldstreamer

Have been to Brandwood End today. Albert Hambleton is commemorated on the left hand wall as you look at Kevan's photo above. Interestingly, four men have the same burial reference number - C1 UN CON GR 516. You will notice one of them, W A Hartwell is just below your man on the memorial panel. I have no idea why they should be buried like this and without individual CWGC headstones. Their dates of death range from Feb 1917 to Nov 1918. Unfortunately the office was closed because of major building work so I was unable to ask questions.

The inscription at the base of both walls reads;

On these panels are commemorated those members of His Majesty's Forces

Who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918

Whose graves are in this cemetery but are not marked

By separate headstones.

Section C1 Unconsecrated is the open grassed area visible behind the screen wall. This is where I believe he is buried but I was unable to verify this today.

If you PM me an email address I'll send the pics off to you.

Regards

Jan

thanks - PM on the way