The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

London Gazette

Ken Lees

Can anyone tell me how long it might be between the gazetting of an MC award and the subsequent publication of the citation?

I have just spent a frustrating couple of hours searching the on-line London Gazette in relation to the MC awarded to Capt. Charles Beckett Johnson, 9th Bn. King's Liverpool Regt. (attached from the Border Regt.)

The Gazette date was 3rd May 1919. I have searched through every 'Johnson' entry from that date to the end on June 1919, but I can't find a citation. Have I just missed it, or should I search into July, too?

Any advice would probably save the little hair I have left :angry:

Regards,

Ken

Ken,

I've had similar probs and failed to find the citation at all.

when I found the Gazette citation date from the MICs that Gazette date was not appearing on the online database.

I realise that this is not at all helpful, but might explain your lack of success.

Ian

I think you will have to look much further than June or July 1919. I would go so far as to say that at this stage of the war (or just after, if you know what I mean) it is not unusual for the citation to appear 9 months or even 12 months after it was gazetted.

I would look at 1920 issues of the Gazette, if I were you.

Thanks for that .... I think :o

And there was I, hoping for a 'just a little further' post.

Looks like a few more hours searching the LG online for me this weekend.

Ken,

the award is notified in The Fifth Supplement to the London Gazette of Friday, the 30th of May, 1919 issued on 3 Jun 19.

The entry is

Lt. (A./Capt.) Charles Beckett Johnson, 9th Bn., L'pool R. (T.F.).

I think this is what is known as the 'Peace Gazette' and no citations for these awards were ever published in the LG.

Jock

Thanks Jock,

I don't suppose there is much chance of finding out why he was awarded the MC then.

I assume that, as he had served as Bn Adjutant for part of his service, it would have been a reward for his general service rather than for a specific act.

Is this a fair assumption, considering that it was gazetted amongst the 'Peace Gazette' awards?

Regards,

Ken