The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Horse Guards

George Armstrong Custer

horseguards.jpg

I've already mentioned this splendid new volume in the 'Soldiers' forum, where I quoted it on the subject of Lieutenant Johnnie Dunville, VC. It deserves a notice here in 'Book Reviews', though, due to its magnificent production values and pretty exhaustive (625 page) range as a regimental history. Two well-illustrated chapters are devoted to the Great War. The author joined the Blues and Royals in 1979, and is currently a serving Major General in the British army - so no excuse for him not knowing his onions, then!

Horse Guards, let me tell you, is a brilliantly illustrated evocation of its subject. It glitters like firelight in a tiger's eye, and I can honestly say that if you were to buy two copies, and hang one from each ear-lobe, and then go about the place in a marked manner - well, I would not be the one to call you mad. On the contrary, I would applaud, and glove any man who didn't. It is, as I say, a brilliant book.

Ciao,

GAC

Oh yes - and it's currently on half-price offer at Borders bookshops (just £15).

Paying £30 for it before Christmas was 'a very stupid thing to do Simon' it would seem.

Nevertheless, it is a good read, informative and well illustrated.

I ordered it yesterday so you had better be right!

Oh dear; if you think I've led you astray when you get the book I may have to arrange to be 'unavailable for comment' somewhere on a well-known golf links on the north-east coast of Scotland!

In all seriousness, though, I don't think you'll find I've overegged the pudding on this one - it is a joy of a book to hold, look at and read. I'm pleased to see Simon goes along with my assessment - and if it's any consolation to him, I too have often been in the position of going into a bookshop shortly after buying a book only to see it has in the interim been heavily discounted.......as the philosopher said, s**t happens. :(

Ciao,

GAC

• 1 month later...
horseguards.jpg

I've already mentioned this splendid new volume in the 'Soldiers' forum, where I quoted it on the subject of Lieutenant Johnnie Dunville, VC. It deserves a notice here in 'Book Reviews', though, due to its magnificent production values and pretty exhaustive (625 page) range as a regimental history. Two well-illustrated chapters are devoted to the Great War. The author joined the Blues and Royals in 1979, and is currently a serving Major General in the British army - so no excuse for him not knowing his onions, then!

Horse Guards, let me tell you, is a brilliantly illustrated evocation of its subject. It glitters like firelight in a tiger's eye, and I can honestly say that if you were to buy two copies, and hang one from each ear-lobe, and then go about the place in a marked manner - well, I would not be the one to call you mad. On the contrary, I would applaud, and glove any man who didn't. It is, as I say, a brilliant book.

Ciao,

GAC

Oh yes - and it's currently on half-price offer at Borders bookshops (just £15).

Wish we had a Borders in Cairo! Virgin Book Shop in the City Stars Mall has just revamped and has a good selection of books now.

• 2 years later...

Just came across this thread from a year ago - surprisingly, unless I've missed it, White-Spunner's 'Horse Guards' doesn't seem to have been issued as a paperback in the interim, whilst the hardback is now long gone from the bookshops.

Just came across this thread from a year ago - surprisingly, unless I've missed it, White-Spunner's 'Horse Guards' doesn't seem to have been issued as a paperback in the interim, whilst the hardback is now long gone from the bookshops.

Excellent Book, got mine for a fiver at The Works, just before Christmas. As I usually only go for Gunner related books, it was an indulgence, but at that price I couldn't say no, and I'm glad I didn't, well worth much more than I paid for it.

Phil