The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tintin's Gran

tintin1689

You my remeber some time ago I promised a picture of the postcard carried by my Gran's brother in 1918 and used as apostcard to inform them he was safe

post-6-1070093352.jpg

Edited by Chris_Baker

Do we have any postal or PoW experts who can say where it was posted?

German postmark partially obscured "Friedrich...... bei Wesel" for the other stamp the German offical has used to much ink, but the number 47 and words for "prisoner of war" which I won't even attempt to spell are identifiable.

This card was my Great grandparents first intimation he was safe as he was missing believed killed in 1918. He was stabbed with a sword and gassed before capture. Food was scarce in the camp, but he did not blame the Germans as they were not eating much better. His two brothers were killed also in 1918,neither have a grave. After the war he drank a bit too much and had difficulty holding down a job.

Picture is my Gran and her little brother my "Uncle Joe" who grew up to serve with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in North Africa and Italy. There was an older sister who died in the Spanish influenza epidemic. Great Grandfather was called up when call up was extended to men between 45 and 50 in the last days of the war, but his call-up was rescinded as he was sole support of the family

Hi

The POW camp was Friedrichsfeld, approximately 60 miles north of Cologne near Wesel. The boxed postmark is a censor mark applied before the card left the camp.

Steve