The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

first nervous question

Guest ginnym

Can I get some help? My Grandfather was part of the 16thBt (inf) and was in the Machine Gun Corp. I cannot seem to find the 16th Bt (inf) listed anywhere. Was this battalion absorbed elsewhere. He died in Roisel France. Thanks

ginnym - Welcome to the Forum.

Click on this link (CLICK HERE), this will take to you to the mothersite (The Long, Long Trail) and the section on the MGC. It mayhelp you, but if not I'm sure one of the Pals who is knowledgable in the MGC will supply all the info you need.

You can also find 'The Long, Long Trail', by looking at the top left of this screen.

Good luck :)

Ginny;

If indeed it was 16 Bn MGC, this was formed on 9 March 1918 from the personnel of 44, 45, 46 and 225 Companies MGC - which were the Machine Gun Companies of the 44th, 45th, and 46th Brigades of the 16th Division. 225 Company was an 'independent' divisional company. It served in France & Flanders only, but was disbanded in May 1918, its personnel being dispersed to other battalions.

When did your forebear die? I ask, as the '16/MGC' could be the 16th Company, a different animal.

Hi Ginny

If it turns out to be the 16th Company, I can give you the brief movements of the 16th Brigade, 6th Division, which the 16th Coy MGC would have been part of, Phil can correct me if I am wrong on that point.

Regards

Annette

[16 Bn MGC, this was formed on 9 March 1918 from the personnel of 44, 45, 46 and 225 Companies MGC - which were the Machine Gun Companies of the 44th, 45th, and 46th Brigades of the 16th Division].

The 16 Bttn MGC was formed from the MG coys of the 16th Division, but these were not the 44,45 and 46th Coys, which were attached to the relevant brigades of the 15th Scottish division. I think the Irish coys were 47,48 and 49.

Ginny,

Don't feel nervous.

If you can add his name it would make it a little easier, that plus any other info at all that you may have such as date of death. It's surprising what some of the really knowledgable folk on this forum can come up with.

One enquiry on one occasion came up with the response "I'm related to him as well"!

Do you have the CWGC record from the war graves commission site. The info there may well lend itself to further interpretation.

Good Luck,

Martin

OOOPS!!

I hang my head in shame! :(

Read across the wrong line in my database....

I misread across lines - indeed, the Brigade Machine Coys of 16th (Irish) Division were as Adam points out, plus 269 Coy - the Divisional Company. All the other info - F&F only, disbanded etc, etc is still good!

What a pity there's no 'embarrassed' emoticon....

Thanks Adam!