The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bulgar and Bitter Woods

mike wines

Thanks to Andy I now know my GGrandfather who was in 13th Btn Rifle Brigage probably died on 9/10 January 1918 in Bulgar and Bitter Woods. The next question is where are they? I guess they must be near Locre but again, where is that?

Help please

Mike.

I'm unsure on Bitter Wood, but Bulgar Wood is the one (unnamed) in the bottom right hand corner of this snippet.....

Dave.

post-2-1070192821.jpg

Dave

That's great. Thanks very much. I've seen Shrewsbury Forest a lot on maps so I really know where he was now. I guess Locre is fairly close. All I know is it was rather than is a Belgian border town with a Church and a Hospice.

Any way, thanks again.

Mike

Mike

Locre is about 10km south west of Ieper and is now known as Loker.

Garth

...it's also about 12km from Bulgar Wood!

Bulgar is roughly at the midway point between Hollebeke and Geluveld, about 7 km SE of Ieper. I'd say the nearest village would be Zandvoorde.

Dave.

Dave

Thanks again. Really starting to pin point it now. I'm assuming as the Battalion's diary entry refers to "Bulgar and Bitter Woods" that Bitter Woods is adjacent to Bulgar.

Making great progress. Thanks again. Hopefully I'll strike lucky with the PRO and get his service record to confirm it. Not planning on holding my breath though..

Mike