The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

L/Cpl. J. E. Bownass P.P.C.L.I.

Conor Dodd

I just bought the aboves 1914-15 Star Trio and plaque and now comes the fun part of researching it ! I have his CWGC details attestation papers and the war diaries for the P.P.C.L.I. on the date he was killed 08/05/1915 and I have a lot of information on what happened on the day from books etc. but I thought I remembered seeing a painting of them fighting that day ? Also if anyone has any information on L/Cpl Bowness himself that would be great.

Thanks

Conor :D

Conor,

You have done well and I am sure you know this (as a student I cant help but wonder where you get yr income from?? but this set is an excellent investment).

Almost certainly there will be a painting of the PATS at Bellewaerde Ridge although I cannot help you as to its existence. This battle was possibly the PATS finest moment and they sustained terrible losses in holding the Line until relieved after nearly two days fighting. Was this the action in which their founder, Hamilton Gault, lost a leg?

Well done for an excellent purchase.

Sigs

(as a student I cant help but wonder where you get yr income from?? but this set is an excellent investment).

I work like crazy during the summer and spend like crazy when I'm back to school. ;)

Cheers

Conor

Almost certainly there will be a painting of the PATS at Bellewaerde Ridge although I cannot help  you as to its existence.  This battle was possibly the PATS finest moment and they sustained terrible losses in holding the Line until relieved after nearly two days fighting.  Was this the action in which their founder, Hamilton Gault, lost a leg?

Hi Signals:

The recorded casualties for the PPCLI at Bellewaerde Ridge were 392: Officers - 4 killed or missing, 6 wounded. NCO's and men - 108 killed, 197 wounded and 77 missing. The PPCLI casualties on May 8 were almost identical with those suffered by the battalion in the battles of Sanctuary Wood (1916), Passchendaele (1917) and Cambrai (1918).

Major Gault was injured in the battle of Bellewaerde Ridge, however he lost his leg when he was severely wounded on June 2, 1916 at Sanctuary Wood.

Conor - I've sent you a PM with information on L/Cpl. Bowness. I'll scan the 12 pages from the PPCLI's history covering May 8, 1915 and e-mail them to you.

Garth

Mordac - thanks for the casualty figs and the clarification as to Hamilton Gault lost his leg.

Conor - keep working like crazy, finds like that are worth it.