The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

C Bty RHA

Chris Caul

I have discovered from the medal index that one of my great granddads brothers (Thomas W Bacon - the only one with that name on the index) served with C Bty RHA, and also with the Labour corps. He was awarded the Victory, British, and 14 star medals.

As a young child I remember being taken to meet an elderly relative, and as we left his home I can remember being told that he had been gassed in the war. My mother doesn't remember the incident, but says that it was probably Thomas.

Is there any way of knowing whether C Bty RHA was subjected to gas at any time? How often was gas used?

Also, on the medal index it has entries that state:

1914 clasp and roses (followed by reference number),

1914 clasp and dup (another ref. number),

1914 clasp and dup C + R CRV (ref number).

Also has 'returned' written next to the entries.

Does anyone know what the entries mean?

Thanks,

Chris

"1914 clasp and roses (followed by reference number): this indicates that he was issued the date clasp to the 1914 Star (for those underfire from Aug to Nov 1914) and the rosette (roses) that are worn on the service ribbon in lieu of the clasp; the reference number indicates the minute order authorizing that award.

"1914 clasp and dup (another ref. number)": indicates a duplicate issue of the clasp and roses.

"1914 clasp and dup C + R CRV (ref number)": another duplicate issue of the clasp and roses.

"Returned" usually indicates that the mailing was returned by the Post Office.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

thanks for the reply. When you say "returned by the post office", I take it you mean returned to the sender, and if that is the case then surely they must be stored somewhere - unless they were claimed later.

Chris

Chris: Yes, that is what I meant. I do not know what happened to them after that. I have heard stories of some of them being skimmed and renamed to other soldiers and also that they were melted down. I can not verify either of the stories. Regards. Dick Flory