The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SS Corinthian

nhclark

Did the SS Corinthian serve as a troopship in WW1? Her last voyage was after the armistice, from London to St. John, New Brunswick, Canada; she sailed on 21st November 1918 but was wrecked in the Bay of Fundy on 14th December 1918 (with no loss of life). Was this a commercial voyage, or was she still acting as a troopship? On board was an AB from the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, just days before his final discharge after the war. The incident appears on his record card. I'm trying to establish whether he was on board as a crew member. This seems the likely explanation, but if so, I presume that the vessel was still acting in a military capacity. Can anyone help, please? Thank you.

The "Corinthian" of 1907 was the second ship of that name owned by the Allan Line of Liverpool. Built in 1900 by Workman, Clark & Co Ltd, Belfast, she was a 6,227 gross ton ship, length 430ft x beam 54.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 50-1st, 150-2nd and 400-3rd class passengers. Launched on 19/3/1900 she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 24/5/1900. On 23/5/1903 she transferred to the Glasgow - Quebec and Montreal service and in 1908 she was rebuilt to 7,333 tons with accommodation for 280-2nd and 900-3rd class passengers. In April 1908 she commenced her last Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal voyage and on 9/5/1908 sailed on her first run from Montreal to Quebec and London. She left London for Quebec and Montreal on 10/9/1914 and on the return voyage was used as a Canadian Expeditionary Force troopship. She later continued on the London - Canada service and in 1917 went to Canadian Pacific when they took over Allan Line. On 21/11/1918 she commenced her first voyage after the armistice from London to St John NB but on 14th Dec. she was wrecked in the Bay of Fundy with no loss of life.

In 1918, the Corinthian was enroute from St. John, N.B. to Great Britain loaded with supplies...mostly ham, bacon, beef and flour. She was enroute as the First World War ended.

She grounded on the Northwest Ledge, three miles northwest of Westport in the Bay of Fundy (there were rumours that this may not have been accidental!).

The year had been a hard one for the Western Nova Scotia fisheries and when the folk discovered what the Corinthian was carrying in her hold, they went out in boats and salvaged the cargo of food. This salvage saw them through the winter. Shortly after the "salvage operation", she broke up and what cargo was left floated ashore.

The Corinthian was the vessel in which Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson went abroad to fight in World War I. He was heard to say once on the radio that he often wondered what had happened to her.

Thanks for that. It seems that my information was slightly in error. She was actually wrecked, not on the voyage from London to St. John, but on the return voyage:

'She sailed from Saint John, New Brunswick at 7:00 am on December 14 (1918) carrying a load of foodstuffs intended to alleviate wartime shortages in Britain. She lost her way in thick fog at the entrance to the Bay of Fundy and at 3:00 in the afternoon struck the Northwest Ledge of Brier Island. Her hull began to pound in the swell and her forward hull began to flood. The lighthouse supply ship CGS ABERDEEN and naval patrol vessel HMCS FEUSTUBERT were dispatched to assist from Saint John along with the tug HELENA. In the thick fog they were unable to find CORINTHIAN until the next morning.'

(from http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/wrecks/wrecks/ - this is an "official" Government of Nova Scotia website).

That explains why there was an RN crew manning the vessel.

So, search over!

• 11 years later...
On 1/31/2007 at 02:57, Jarvis said:

... (there were rumours that this may not have been accidental!).

The year had been a hard one for the Western Nova Scotia fisheries and when the folk discovered what the Corinthian was carrying in her hold, they went out in boats and salvaged the cargo of food. This salvage saw them through the winter. Shortly after the "salvage operation", she broke up and what cargo was left floated ashore.

The Corinthian was the vessel in which Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson went abroad to fight in World War I. He was heard to say once on the radio that he often wondered what had happened to her.

Thank you for that great info Jarvis! That's the most info I've found anywhere about the Corinthian shipwreck! 

Is there a source that talks about it maybe not being an accident? I'd like more info about that if there is any? Thanks