The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

In Memory..............

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Of the men of the 178 Coy Labour Corps who on 1 December 1917 were working just south of Ypres when the German artillery got their range.

Particularly Pte J Baynham, Pte G Bradbury and Pte P Gough who were all killed by a direct hit.

And to Pte George Davey and Sgt E Chapman who dug out my great-uncle when he was buried alive.

Ian :ph34r:

Ian - I know there is another thread going around called "why do we all do this" or something similar. I think this post aptly explains why.

We will remember them.

... and thanks for sharing this small piece of history with us.

Did your great-uncle survive the War, Ian?

If so, how did this horrifying experience affect him, do you know?

Gwyn

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Gwyn,

The three youthful looking men in my avatar are from L to R, my grandfather, my great-uncle John and right my great-uncle Charlie.

John went to France with an Infantry Labour Coy in 1917. According to my surviving 103 year-old great-aunt he was buried a couple of times and gassed, and he came home badly shell shocked. His experiences are believed to be responsible for his premature death in 1935. I have a copy of his death certificate which does not list death as 'aggravated by military service' just lung cancer.

Charlie is a totally different kettle of fish; he served 9th East Surreys from the Battle of Loos right through to the Armistice. Apparently the war really affected him shell shock wise and he never settled down in civilian life. He was a well known charecter in the East End during the Blitz, playing his banjo and entertaining everyone with his Music Hall comedy routines. He died in the 1950s still fighting the Great War in his own mind. My great-aunt remembers him shouting out in his sleep and calling the names of mates most probably killed, after he was demobbed. In the morning he would remember nothing of it.

My grandfather went to France in 1918, he flew on a few photo recce missions as a photographer and fired a Lewis Gun in anger - I think he hit his own tail! Anyway when he came back he retired to the pub, until my great-grandmother sorted him out (4' 8'' of firey Chapel going Welsh women!!) and he got on with his life. He only talked about the war once - to me and for that if feel greatly priveliged. Unfortunately he was murdered in 1975 by some misunderstood person - a 77 year old man walking with a stick is an easy target I suppose.

There they are my family, survived the war yes, but all casualties of sorts. I wish I'd known all 3 of them but one day we will all be together drinking beer and sharing a smoke (I can then cos I will be dead anyway) - well they need one more to make up a four at darts!

Ian

Thank you for sharing that moving account, Ian. I have responded privately via your Inbox.

Three survivors, yet three casualties, as you said. All in one family. To think how many times that story was repeated throughout families across the world... it is beyond my imagination.

Gwyn