The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Fijian Soldiers Musical Band!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Here we have an offering from the 'Bowbrick Photographic Collection' - a Fiji Native Military Band. I know there are a couple of Pals interested in Bands and a t least one in the Fijians role in WW1.

Ian

post-2-1070294032.jpg

Ian

I will be very interested to see what Christine, our Fiji expert, has to say.

There are almost as many men in the photo as served in the Fijian LC so is it them?

Sorry, I had not even seen this post until Ivor sent me a message, and I look at the Forum everyday!

This group are the 4th Platoon of the Fiji Defence Force. I have a copy of the photo from

The Colony of Fiji 1874-1924 ; Fiji Government

Here is a smaller version

The 4th & 5th Platoon were formed under Ratu Sukuna after he returned from service in the French Foreign Legion, in 1916. The Fijian Labour Corps was formed partly at least out of these men, and Ratu Sukuna was the highest ranking native Fijian. I think that is him on the far right, 2nd row up, behind the ?French Horn?- the horn with all the twirly pipes.

the 2 boys lying on the ground are probably mascots

Brass bands are popular in Fiji and I think the present army has one still

post-2-1070524249.jpg

This is Ratu Sukuna much later, after he became Prime Minister of Fiji

If anybody could find a picture of him in his French uniform, I weould be eternally grateful. There are none in Fiji. He was in the Moroccan section of the French Foreign Legion, and fought and was wounded at the Battle of Champagne

post-2-1070525584.jpg

This is Ratu Sukuna much later, after he became Prime Minister of Fiji

If anybody could find a picture of him in his French uniform, I weould be eternally grateful. There are none in Fiji. He was in the Moroccan section of the French Foreign Legion, and fought and was wounded at the Battle of Champagne

Interesting.

Is there a story behind why Ratu Sukuna was in the French Foreign Legion?

Yes. He was at Oxford University studying law when war broke out (not sure whether he was the first Fijian to gain a degree), and being a loyal colonial government servant, he wanted to join up in Britain. But, the British army would not accept him, as being a " coloured " colonial ( this was 1914).

So off he went to Paris and joined the French Foreign Legion!

He received a Medaille Militaire and was wounded twice, then returned home to a hero's welcome, joined the FDF as a lieutenant, started the 4th & 5th platoons, and eventually the FLC. There were letters in the paper from Englishmen in Fiji, also in the FDF, objecting to having to salute a "native"

You would think after this sort of treatment that he would be somewhat anti- Britain, but no, he was a friend to the British authorities in Fiji.

In fact, as one of the chiefs, he was probably in sympathy with the British class system, which is not unlike the stratified Fijian society of chiefs and commoners.

PS he did not actually get his medal until 1935, from the French Govt, not sure why.