The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can you identify these medal ribbons?

Chris_Baker

Can you identify the medal ribbons, of this Special Constable, Charles Frederick Nightingale? Is it just a 'pair' or something else?

nightingale.JPG

nightingale2.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Chris,

Look's like a pair to me,

Ski :)

Given the vagiaries of old monochrome film emulsion (which can make dark colours look light and vice versa) I'll back Ski up there, yup, British War Medal & Victory Medal. aka 'a pair', aka 'Mutt and Jeff'.

Regards

Phil

I would agree with the other posts.

The one on the left is the war medal. the dark band down the centre will be the blue section of the ribbon. Can just make out several shades of colour on the right hand ribbon which I think would make it the Victory Medal with its rainbow pattern

Tim

Guest Jeff Floyd

It's "just a pair", which may denote a relatively short time outside England in a place of calm or nearly 3 years in the trenches.

Unfortunately, "just a pair" often hides more than it reveals about a man's service. That's when real research takes over and the full story emerges.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

There are actually 3 medal ribbons there, but I would agree the last 2 are the pair (you can clearly distinguish the ribbon of the British War Medal in the middle).

Ian

Must agree with LB, using the same source. It may well be that the recipient was not too worried about the order of precedence. If you know what police force he served with it can probably be checked out by consulting the minutes of the Watch Committee or the Chief Constable's Annual Report.

Terry Reeves

Langleybaston's key to identifying ribbons: buy a couple of inches of just about every ribbon you can get hold of. Mount them crudely over strips of card.

Photograph them in likely combinations and in ones.

Print in black and white.

Although photo materials and dyes and inks have changed over the period, the "bar code" usually can be decoded.

Another way is if you are certain of an historical combination in an old photograph, say China with Pip, Squeak and Wilfred. Use that photo as your key.

I spend happy hours on this crackpot detective work.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Also look at the length of the ribbon bar - the bar seems to nearly cover the length of the pocket - that isn't just a pair - definitely 3 with the BWM in the middle.

I will take bets.

Ian

Don't know what all the fuss is about: the FGCM, with a Brigadier General as President, and a couple of Lt Cols all agreeing on verdict and: Bob's your uncle! Guilty as charged; Special Constabulary, BWM, Victory.

Next question please?