The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

In Reserve or with the colours

olosangus

My grandad served in the RFA in the war . I have his discharge papers which show that he enlisted on 11th December 1915, that he served 1 year 237 days with the colour and 2 years 16 days in reserve. I know that he was discharged on 20th August 1919 as a result of wounds sustained and received the silver wound badge.

Am I right in thinking that his period of service " In reserve" relates to after he enlisted until he was actually called up ?

Thanks for any help.

Looks very much like it. From the date, it appars he enlisted under the Derby Scheme, and then went back to civvie life to await his call up.

Looks very much like it. From the date, it appars he enlisted under the Derby Scheme, and then went back to civvie life to await his call up.

Sorry to jump in on the thread........but is this time delay normal. From what Chris has said as I understand it olosangus' Grandfather spent until 27th December 1917 on the Reserve & therefore in his civvy occupation. I would have thought that manpower accrued under the Derby scheme would have been utilised far sooner. Would there be any particular reason for such a long delay?