The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can you identify this?

David_Bluestein

Calling all Pals,

Please help identify this interesting badge. It came with a collection of medals and papers to a Canadian 28th Battalion casualty. I have no idea what it might be?

I was hoping one of you chaps may know something about it?

Thanks in advance and good luck.

David

Canadian Pal

post-1-1070338265.jpg

Thanks for that Bill,

Any advice is better then none. I think this pin/badge has the forum stumped?

Appreciate your suggestion

David

David

I notice that your man from the 28th Bn.was killed the same day as Abraham Wozencraft of the 28th Bn.originally from Rhayader and commemorated on the Rhayader Memorial as well as the Menin Gate. The small badge reminds me of similar items (but not identical) which I have been told were used for horses' trappings or as band accessories.

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle,

Yes, Pte. Boyd was killed on June 6, 1916 at Hooge with many others of the 28th in the following disastrous engagement:

'.....A very heavy artillery barrage on the front and support lines started at 7:00 AM, and continued until 2:00PM. At 3:05 PM, the Germans explode 4 enormous mines under 200 yards of the Battalion's frontline trenches (covering the eastern outskirts of Hooge) at Trenches 70, 71 & 72 which it is believed, with the serious bombardment, practically wiped out the garrison. Trenches 73-75 also suffered heavily. The men in the frontline and bombing posts suffered heavy casualties, including the men from 'A' Company who were almost wiped out....'

(From 28th Regt. History)

Hi David,

Yes, 6 June,1916 was not a good day for the 28th. I have a pair to 424452 Pte.W.E.Carr, 28th Bn., who arrived in France on 2 March,1916, immediately was hospitalized with influenza; rejoined the battalion on the 11th; was wounded on the 24th (shrapnel wound,scalp); and finally was captured on 6 June. A very eventful three months in France!

Terry,

The fighting at Ypres (Hooge and Sanctuary Wood) is very interesting. The 3rd Division in particular suffered heavily at these engagements (4th CMR, 42nd Bn etc).

I have a 4th CMR group named to a man who happened to be away from the regiment sick on June 2, 1916 when his unit was almost destroyed at Sanctuary Wood. He returned later that month probably feeling pretty lucky he was spared. However death 'had his name', as he was killed during the first attack on Regina Trench the Somme October 1, 1916.

(PS: Thanks for you e-mail yesterday. Will respond this evening)

David

Have the War Medal and Victory Medal got each others ribbon on them?

John Milner

David

Have the War Medal and Victory Medal got each others ribbon on them?

John Milner

John,

Indeed yes, the ribbons are ALL incorrect (including the 1914-15 Star whose colors should start with Red, to the left, not blue).

However this is the way the medals were kept by the family, and the way I came about them. I'm one of those purists, who never tampers with the originality of my medals in any way. (Not the most popular view around, but I just cant bring myself to change them up)