The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2 RWF

Simon R

Where was officer Garnett (forget initials and rank offhand) of 2 RWF and Dunn fame from? Where was he born and brought up?

Not so much fame as infamy, I regret.

Lt Col William Brooksbank Garnett, b. 31 July 1875, 3rd son of Frederick Brooksbank Garnett CB. Ed Charterhouse. Inland Revenue. Comm. 24 Middx Vol Rifles 2 Jan 1895; Lt 1897; CIV 3 Jan 1900 as Lt, Comm. 1RWF as 2Lt 5 May 1900.

More, much more, if needs be. Died 17 Aug 1946.

Speaking of welch, does anyone have any idea how refusing to pay a bet came to be called welching? is it a pejorative like indian giver for some one who takes back a gift? Or using jew as a verb? Thanks.

Not related to the mill-owning, navvy ministering, British Museum printed book keeping, Russian literature translating Garnett's of Otley, West Yorks. then?

Why infamy? We must be told!

You mean you have not bought my book! For shame!

Garnett amongst other things was reputed to be, : fond of leave when offensive operations were planned; an incompetent CO; deeply unpopular with most of his officers but less so with the men; virtually illiterate regarding giving orders and instructions ......

This from a variety of sources.

You mean you have not bought my book! For shame!

I too am shamed! Where can I buy a copy of your, no-doubt, excellent book?

Oh!.....what's it about? :ph34r:

Regards

Terry

David

I write this wearing the traditional sackcloth and ashes.

My only defence is that I did buy TWTIK on your recommendation. It sits on the bookshelf at No.23 in the "waiting to be read" list.

John