The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mobilised from the Reserve August 1914

brindlerp

My Grandfather was mobilised from the Reserve 05 August 1914 and posted to 3rd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment. On 01 November 1914 he was posted to 2nd Battalion. Posted to depot 29 September 1915. Discharged 04 October 1915, Cause Of Discharge: Termination of his period of engagement.

Were 'periods of engagement' a fixed term?

Regards

Richard

Servicemen had a variety of "terms of engagement". You could 'sign on' for anything from 3 to 12 years, sometimes with the option for more, but short term engagements would carry an added period in the 'reserve' that would bring the total to 12 years.

Thus if you enlisted for 3 years you would do 9 years in the reserve after completing the 3. However if you did 12 years you didn't do time with the reserve.

Having completed his time with the reserve he would of necessity be discharged unless he had signed on for the duration of the war. Certainly you will find many cases where that happened.

He would also be asked to reenlist as a matter of course. It was upto the individual to decide.

If he didn't reenlist he could still be called up when conscription was introduced, assuming he met the necessary age and health criteria.

Hope that helps

Garth

Servicemen had a variety of "terms of engagement".

Terms of Engagement varied with the needs of the Army, which changed them often [every few years or so]. The subject is more complicated than described in this thread, and made even more so by the allowing of good soldiers to sign on for extra commitment with a view to reaching a pension after 21 years.

An infantryman [other than Foot Guards] who was serving Aug 1914 or a member of the Regular Reserve at that date would probably [but not certainly] be on a seven years colours and five years reserve commitment, plus a commitment for a further year in war. Note though that 7 and 5 was only re-introduced in 1906. As an example of the complications, a man enlisted in 1905 would be on 9 and 3, would have left the colours in 1912, and still be liable in 1914.

For more on this, see my article "Bounden Duty ...." in most recent Stand To.

Many thanks for the information regarding the subject.

A recent letter from the The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers Museum (Royal Warwickshire) stated "His final discharge document dated the 4th October 1915 (aged 35 years and 3 months) says that he served 9 years and 163 days with the Regiment and 7 years 202 days with the Army Reserve."

I should have included this info with my original post.

Regards

Richard