The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Military Service Act and Irish soldiers

Chris_Baker

I am looking at the service papers of an old soldier, a veteran who joined up in 1895. He was Irish, from County Clare. His service was extended, he was recalled from reserve in 1914, and was still in the army in early 1916 (with 11th Hussars). In July 1916, his service was continued under the Military Service Act. Now, conscription was not applied in Ireland but it looks like if an Irishman was already serving he was 'deemed to have enlisted' just as though he had been conscripted. Seems rather unjust to me. Any comments?

Chris

This is an intriguing one. I wonder whether some dodge was used, like placing him on the National Reserve, to legitimise his extension of service.

Charles M

Could it not be that after 21 years (to 1916) he would normally not be allowed to continue with his service but that the MSA merely allowed him to re-enlist beyond that age and he voluntarily did so?

Could it not be that after 21 years (to 1916) he would normally not be allowed to continue with his service

Not so. Fit soldiers wishing to extend beyond 21 years were allowed to if their CO wanted to retain their services. This had nothing to do with war.