The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Machine Gun Corps

Guest Keg

Hello, my first contribution to the Machine Gun discussion, if it's not too late. My Grandfather joined the MGC in February 1916. Jim Parker was incredibly helpful in confirming his number as 6615, which, Jim explained, meant my relative was the 3,015th man to join. The first 3000 numbers were taken by the members of the Motor Machine Gun Service. The MGC trained at Belton Park, near Grantham, now National Trust.

My Grandfather was in 73 Coy MGC and sometime in, I think, late August or early September 1916 was involved in an action near Delville Wood during which he was wounded and subsequently awarded the DCM. Can anyone add information about the 73 Coy MGC?

73 Coy was in existence at Grantham by Feb 1916; the Brigade Machine Gun Coy of the 73rd Bde of 24 Division on or by 15 Mar 16. Transferred to 24th Battalion MGC on Bn formation on 5 Mar 18. Served entirely in France & Flanders.

Its Company patch was a Yellow saltire (diagonal cross).

http://www.1914-1918.net/24div.htm ..is the 24 Div page on the main site.

Regards

Phil

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I have been told MGC started #s at 3000 but have been told that's wrong so not sure. It started October 14, 1915. James Henry Hartley whos buried here in Kentucky was 3389, his brother was 3390. He was formerly Kings Liverpool Regiment.

No Paul you are correct MGC numbers begin at 3000. Numbers less than 3000 were MGC Motors. The majority of the first tranche of men served with the 45th Coy MGC.

My wife's grandfather's MGC number was 33081. He previously served with the 2/Royal Irish Fusiliers. He served with 185 & 187 Coy, although most of the men around his number served with 77 Coy in Salonika. The main bulk of men in 185/186/187 Coys were around the 35000 number series.

One question that not even Jim Parker knows is when MGC men who transferred were issued with their new MGC numbers; was it on arrival at Grantham/Clipstone or just prior to going overseas at the end of their MG training?

33081 went to Grantham in February 1916 and departed, with 33082, 33083 & the 35000s for Mespot in July 1916.

Ian

Ian

I have a kia medal to no 33888 who also served with 187th and is on the Basra Memorial, his previous service was with the Liverpool Regt.

Steve

I may be able to shed some light. My speciality is RWF. The machine gunners of 1 RWF transferred more or less en-masse Feb Mar 1916, numbers in MGC were in the 19000 series. 2RWF's gunners went Jan and Feb 1916, with numbers around 16500. No volunteering seems to have happened.

Evidence is almost always to be found on a soldier's medal roll entry [NOT MIC necessarily] if he was awarded a medal [in this case the 1914 star] and subsequently transferred.