The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Craven's Part in the Great War

David_Blanchard

Link to Website:

Click Here

Introduction from Website below:

'Welcome to Craven's Part in the Great War, a website respectfully and humbly dedicated to the memories of the men and women from the Craven district who gave their lives for king and country in the First World War, 1914 -1919.

Before going on to explore the site in depth we hope you will take the time to read this brief introduction. It begins by explaining the origins of the project, and then goes on to describe the nature and the sources of the data that we have collected together.

This data aims to provide as accurate as possible a sketch of every serviceman and woman who died in action, or as a direct result of having taken part in the dreadful conflict that was considered to be the 'war that would end all wars.'

Foreword...

Ian Hislop

I am delighted to recommend Craven's Part in the Great War which is a fine local addition to the great national duty of remembrance - this sounds a bit pompous but the more I learn about the lost generation of the First World War the more I realise that the odd act of memory is not much to ask from a fortunate generation like ours. My own interest was sparked by learning about the part played by my own grandfather who survived fierce fighting in the last years of the war before returning home to Scotland. His records were difficult to trace and I had the help of a BBC research team, but this site should provide invaluable help for those trying to find their relatives from this area. The idea is interactive, so the public provides details and photos of the dead as well as finding them, and should help to keep alive that important link between our history and ourselves. I made a TV series called Not Forgotten. This site helps make that sentiment hold true.

Ian Hislop

Excellent website, will keep me busy for hours!

Thanks for the link. An excellent resource !!

Cheers

Tim.

great web site - plenty of pics of CG casualties

Superb website. Very thorough - pleased to see that one can search by Division.