The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

THe Affair at Nery

Kirkes Lamb

Ive just read this book. ALthough the actions there were tiny compared with the Great War in general, it resulted in three VC's for L Battery of the RHA.

I must admit I find the Battled ground Series from Pen and Sword invaluable-a nice mix of words,pictures and maps/diagrams too. Not a bad price either especially as new titles seem to be getting bigger.

I look forward to getting hold of this book.

My grandfather was a lead gun-driver with 7th Brigade RHA. After extensive checking and comparison of the RHA medal rolls for the 1914 Star, I eventually, through a process of elimination, placed him with 'I' Battery RHA (never found his service record)

In the course of my research I came across the reports on Nery and the citations in the 7th Brigade RHA war diary. They made for very salutary reading. Two sections of 'I' Battery came to the rescue at Nery, with the third section being attached elsewhere at the time. Therefore I reckon there is a two in three chance that my grandfather was one of the drivers who brought these guns up. I shall never know for sure.

Bryan

Chris, I get the impression from your review that there is limited information about what happened to the German cavalry. This side of the story is really interesting! Quite amazing how they got away.

Robert

Chris,

If you think £12.99 makes you quail, some of the WW2 titles (e.g. Rhine Crossing volumes) are now £14.99....

I visited the site last September, quite interesting.
I agree. Very interesting to see the surrounding countryside as well. I enjoyed the visit to Nery.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

The Affair At Nery

1 September 1914

Patrick Takle

Battleground Europe Series (Early Battles 1914)

Pen and Sword 2006 (though the authors copyright note says 2007)

£12.99 (where not discounted)

Nery is one of those legendary encounters of the first war. "L" Battery Royal Horse Artillery won three VCs here and the medals can be seen today at the Imperial War Museum together with a gun from the action. The battery itself was awarded "Nery" as a battle honour and was officially known for many years as "L" (Nery) Battery Royal Horse Artillery. Following a number of changes in the army it is now "L/N" (Nery) Battery (The Eagle Troop) 1st Regt. RHA regaining it's old title in part after a spell as a field battery.

If you doubt the legend I will simply relate a friends tale. Some years ago she visited Nery with her father to see where her grandfather had fought with "L" battery (he survived the encounter and the war). In a brief conversation with a local resident they explained why they were there. Before they left my friend was left in no doubt the esteem in which the men who fought there on 1st September 1914 were held. Within a very short while the Mayor appeared to greet them almost as if they were celebrities themselves. Refreshments and generous hospitality followed in his wake and the visitors left later that day with a clear understanding of the significance of the action for the village.

Much has been written about the events of that day and a good bibliography points you in the direction of all sorts of sources. The unit was effectively annihilated but was reconstituted in 1915 and saw service at Gallipoli and elsewhere.

The action at Nery was fought during the retreat from Mons and the author starts by looking at the circumstances which brought the retreating British to Nery where several units were resting overnight. We are introduced to these units as well as the advancing German units and their dispositions leading up to the engagement are detailed. We move through the arrival of 1st Cavalry Brigade at Nery; the opening of the attack by 4th Cavalry Division. The 11th Hussars raise the alarm and L battery is virtually destroyed in the hay field on the edge of the village. Counterattacks follow by the 5th Dragoon guards and the Queens Bays before reinforcements, including part of I battery arrive and clear up before 4th Cavalry Division make their escape. Each phase has a chapter devoted to it and there is no lack of detail. Each phase is clearly illustrated with a map outlining the movements through the phase.

The regards in which the action is held has ensured that personal accounts survive and these have been used to good effect to describe the events of the day. The events of the day are more than just the heroics of "L" battery and the author ensures we have a fuller understanding of events, taking us through the phases of the action as it developed. The nature of the "affair" means that the author has been able to identify many of the individuals and their actions and to read through the volume is to understand how things developed and who did what at all levels. The information around the Germans units is not quite so extensive, but is more detailed that we are used to from many other volumes in this series and those wanting to know more about "the enemy" will be far from disappointed.

The guides provided for walking the ground and the surrounding areas is less thorough than often found with the Battleground Europe Series, but the immediate of the village and action is probably described more than adequately in the volume itself. By contrast an unusual bonus is the inclusion of casualty lists and gallantry awards associated with the action.

The quality and standard of Battleground Europe volumes varies but this is one that can definitely be recommended as providing a fine record of a famous action that should be better understood than it is.

Agree entirely. Superb book and while a little on the expensive side worth the money.

• 5 years later...
Guest Mountbergen

According to a document and a letter to my grt grandad in 1916, he was at Nery with L Battery.

Gunner 61499 HW TULLETT was definitely in L battery and had 1914 star etc.

Steve Mount