The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Treaty of Versailles!

cockney tone

Won't be much help but there was a book about the treaty negotiations a couple of years back by a woman author - details escape me but a google search should get you there. It was well received.

Bernard

Here is one book I can highly recommend. She also delivers a good public lecture on the topic as well.

Borden Battery

-----------------------------

Paris 1919

Margaret MacMillan, Random House, (2003)

A very well written and readable book with a great deal of information packed into it.

An absorbing publication

Published in New York as Paris 1919;Six Months that Changed the World

Margaret Macmillan is the Great Granddaughter of Lloyd George

Ms. Macmillan I believe taught until recently and still may at the University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Check the University of Toronto's web site for faculty or google her name. She received a great deal of praise and positive reviews for her book.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia on MacMillan. Borden Battery

------------------------------------------------------------------------

MacMillan received an Honours B.A. in modern history from the University of Toronto (attending Trinity College, where she would later become Provost) and a B.Phil in Politics at Oxford University. Her doctoral dissertation, also completed at Oxford, was on the social and political perspectives of the British in India. From 1975 to 2002 she was a professor of history at Ryerson University in Toronto, including five years as department chair.[2] She is the author of Women of the Raj, a selection of the "History Book Club." In addition to numerous articles and reviews on a variety of Canadian and world affairs, MacMillan has co-edited books dealing with Canada's international relations, including with NATO, and with Canadian-Australian relations.

From 1995 to 2003, MacMillan co-edited International Journal, published by the Canadian Institute of International Affairs. Since 1995, she has served as a member of the National Board of Directors of the CIIA

MacMillan's research has focussed on the British Empire in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and on international relations of the twentieth century. She teaches courses on the history of international relations, including a seminar on the history of the Cold War. In 2007 MacMillan will leave the University of Toronto to serve as Warden of St Antony's College at Oxford University.

[edit] Recognition and honours

Her most successful and celebrated work is Peacemakers: The Paris Peace Conference of 1919 and Its Attempt to End War, also published as Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World. Peacemakers won the Duff Cooper Prize for outstanding literary work in the field of history, biography or politics; the Hessell-Tiltman Prize for History; the prestigious Samuel Johnson Prize for the best work of non-fiction published in the United Kingdom and the 2003 Governor General's Literary Award in Canada. MacMillan has served on the boards of the Canadian Institute for International Affairs, the Atlantic Council of Canada, the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Historica, and the Churchill Society for the Advancement of Parliamentary Democracy (Canada). She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, an Honorary Fellow of St. Antony's College, Oxford and a Senior Fellow of Massey College, University of Toronto. She has honorary degrees from the University of King's College, the Royal Military College of Canada student #S154, and Ryerson University, Toronto.

She was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in February, 2006.[3]

[edit] Published works

* Women of the Raj. Thames and Hudson, 1998.

* Canada and NATO: Uneasy Past, Uncertain Future (editor with David Sorenson), Waterloo, 1990.

* The Uneasy Century: International Relations 1900–1990

* Parties Long Estranged: Canada and Australia in the Twentieth Century

* Paris 1919: Six Months that Changed the World. ISBN 0-7195-5939-1 (UK), 2001; ISBN 0-375-50826-0, 9 (US), 2002.

* Canada's House: Rideau Hall and the Invention of a Canadian Home. Co-authored with Marjorie Harris and Anne L. Desjardins.

* Nixon in China: The Week That Changed the World. Viking Canada, 2006.

[edit] Trivia

* Her great-grandfather was British prime minister David Lloyd George[4]

Here is a website recommended by the CEF Study Group. One should note the vindictive conditions and minute details of the conditions in this document. Borden Battery

-------------------------------------------------------

The Versailles Treaty, June 28, 1919

The complete text of the Versailles Treaty [440 Articles], including attached maps, suggested readings and some photographs and cartoons related to President Woodrow Wilson from the United States. The text in this html document was scanned from The Treaties of Peace 1919-1923. New York: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 1924. [CEF Study Group - May 2005]

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/text/versaill...ercontents.html

Here is another website that I overlooked. Borden Battery

-------------------------------------------------

The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920

A short review of the consequences of the Versailles Treaty by the economist John Maynard Keynes from Cambridge University.[CEF Study Group – Dec 2006]

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1920keynes.html

Actually I read and enjoyed MS McMillan's book. It is, however, NOT a novel. You will work to read it. It also assumes you understand European politics and have a general cultural understanding of Late 19thC and early 20thC Europe.

I have used this book extensively for a speech I gave on the pre US War History of Iraq. The interplay between the "lovers" and "experts" of the British expedition and their impact on the treaty is great.

There is a book about the consequences of the treaty called " When kings depart", I am not at home at the moment. I'll do a full ref when I get back, if no-one else rcognises it.

Pal's,

thank you for your very helpful suggestions and informative answers, I had posted on behalf of a friend, however this has identified a bit of a gap in my knowledge and I feel a trip to the library coming along!

Thanks to you all,

regards,

Scottie.

There is a book about the consequences of the treaty called " When kings depart", I am not at home at the moment. I'll do a full ref when I get back, if no-one else rcognises it.

I think Tom is referring to The Kings Depart - The Tragedy of Germany: Versailles and the German Revolution, by Richard M. Watt. This is excellent (in my opinion!) if you can easily get ahold of a copy.

You might also see if you can find a copy of Peacemaking 1919 by Harold Nicolson. This is a personal memoir of the peace conference. Nicolson was a junior member of the British delegation at the time.

Nicolson is an informative read. If you are more concerned about the ramifications of the treaty and he impact of the armistice there is a wider range of volumes.

If you are particularly interested in the treaty itself can I suggest the HMSO publication "The Treaty of Versailles" with maps - after all original sources are often best! Copies do appear for sale from time to time. I recently picked up a copy (complete with maps) for around £7, much of which was postage.

The text alternates english with french.

Chris,

thank you for this one I will pass it on to my friend, he has already ordered the Macmillan book for £2 on e-bay! there are some real bargains out there!

regards,

Scottie.

I think Tom is referring to The Kings Depart - The Tragedy of Germany: Versailles and the German Revolution, by Richard M. Watt. This is excellent (in my opinion!) if you can easily get ahold of a copy.

You might also see if you can find a copy of Peacemaking 1919 by Harold Nicolson. This is a personal memoir of the peace conference. Nicolson was a junior member of the British delegation at the time.

Spot on. Thank you . I have it but have not yet read it. Its in the " must read that soon " pile.

Scottie, you really should give a 'World in Trance: From Versailles to Pearl Harbor' by Leopold Schwarzschild a read. In fact, everyone interested in the impact of the Versailles Treaty and the machinations of inter-war European politics should snatch this up! Leopold Schwarzschild was an exile from Nazi Germany and all of what he says about the great powers rings true in all its scathing honesty. Published in 1942, it remains a classic.

Stuartd,

thank you for the advice, i will pass this on to my mate and add it to my list of books to read,

Thanks again,

Regards,

Scottie.

• 9 years later...
On 2/22/2007 at 06:27, Borden Battery said:

The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920

A short review of the consequences of the Versailles Treaty by the economist John Maynard Keynes from Cambridge University.[CEF Study Group – Dec 2006]

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1920keynes.html

This book got another plug in today's newspaper

see https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jan/02/100-best-nonfiction-books-no-48-the-economic-consequences-of-the-peace-john-maynard-keynes-jm

and has moved up my 'to read' list

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 09:51, michaeldr said:

This book got another plug in today's newspaper

see https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/jan/02/100-best-nonfiction-books-no-48-the-economic-consequences-of-the-peace-john-maynard-keynes-jm

and has moved up my 'to read' list

Hi,

It is certainly worth reading Keynes' book as a historical artifact.  Adam Tooze's recent 'The Deluge: The Great War, America and the Remaking of the Global Order, 1916-1931' is an excellent recent treatment of the period. Its probably in paperback by now.