The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

18th & 12th Brigades

Annette Burgoyne

Hi

Is there anyone out there researching the 18th or 12th Brigades who can give me the date that the 18th Bde relieved the 12th Bde. from trenches to the left of Rue de Bois in the last days of October 1914.

Here is what I know of situation between 21st-27th October 1914. The 18th Brigade were withdrawn from a forward salient at Chateau d’Hancardry, through the 16th Brigade, and going into reserve at Bois Grenier, during the early hours of 21st October. The 16th Brigade then held the front line Touquet-Bois Blancs-Le Quesne-La Houssoie-Rue du Bois, and the 17th Brigade then carried it on to near Epinette. According to Official History the 12th Brigade relieved the 17th Bde on 24th Oct. and also according to OH the 18th Bde. seem to be back in the line by the 27th Oct, on the left of the 16th Bde, who’s line now run Touquet-Flamengrie Fm-Rue du Bois.

Thanks inadvance

Annette

After spending the last few hours looking at all the sources I have to hand, I have found that I may been barking up the wrong tree with the post above. On the night of the 25th October, the 16th Bde withdraw from the line Touquet-Bois Blancs-Le Quesne-La Houssoie-Rue du Bois to a line Touquet-Flamengrie Farm-Rue du Bois. The Buffs History records that the WHOLE Brigade withdraw to the new line but the 1st K.S.L.I. and 1st Leicesters on the left of the Brigade’s line went straight into reserve at Bois Grenier. The K.S.L.I.’s diary records that it was covered by the 18th Bde, which suggests that the 18th Bde held part of the new line to the right of Rue du Bois and that I may be wrong in my assumptions that they relieved the 12th Bde, who were to the left of Rue du Bois.

If anyone interested in the following Battalions of the 18th Bde. and could look at any material they have on the time period 24th-27th October 1914, I would be very grateful with any help clearing up this lose end..

1st West Yorks.

1st East Yorks.

2nd Notts & Derby.

2nd D.L.I.

Annette

Thanks Bob

2nd DLI were relieved by 1st KSLI on the night of the 31st.

I do have this info., I am just a little confused about the line held by the 18th Bde., seeing that the Buffs. History records that the whole of the 16th Bde. took over new line dug between Touquet-Flamengrie Farm-Rue du Bois but K.S.L.I. diary records it was covered by the 18th Bde as it retire into reserve at Bois Grenier.

Do you know if the 2nd DLI line ran to the right of Rue du Bois and who were on their right flank ?

I just like to sure of my facts, I could just leave it at the 18th Bde. covered the 1st K.S.L.I. withdrawal but it niggles me when one source suggests that the whole Brigade held the line and other source say something different, I have to get it right for peece of mind as these little niggles kick around in my head for months.

Thanks again

Annette

Annette,

The only other thing I can add is that 2nd DLI took over the line at Rue de Bois after the 21st where they presumably stayed until relieved by the KSLI on the 31st.

Bob.

Annette

I hope the following information is of use to you, I checked through

the histories for 1st W.Yorks and 1st E.Yorks.

1st West Yorks

The Battalion held the line between Rue du Bois and the Sugar Factory and

withdrawn to Brigade reserve in Bois Grenier on night of 21st/22nd October.

They returned to the front line later in October '14. (Unfortunately the history

does not state date or location but see below as they are mentioned in the

1/E.Yorks history).

1st East Yorks

A rumour that 16th Bde had been attacked took 1st E.Yorks to Le Touquet on the

event of 21st October, but they were not required and returned to Bois Grenier. At

11.15pm 23rd October, C and D Coys were sent to to La Guernerie to support the

Leicester of 16th Bde, but returned at 6am 24th October.

At dusk on 25th October the Battalion relieved the Leicesters in the front line.

B Coy taking over trenches east of Erquinghem-Armentieres railway in the angle

formed by the railway and Rue du Bois. A Coy held the line from the railway to

the left of 1st W.Yorks and the Buffs of 16th Bde on the right of 1st W.Yorks.

26th October, heavy shelling, 2 killed, 7 wounded. C Coy relieved B Coy and

D Coy relieved A Coy.

27th October, heavy shelling of the trenches held by C Coy (i.e. east of the

railway) immediately followed by German attack which was repulsed. With the

coming of dark, B Coy relieved C Coy.

28th October, 5.30am, heavy shelling followed by an attack against the line

N.E. of the railway. Creeping through the ruined houses, the enemy got behind

the trenches then occupied by the Durhams who vacated the line. But coming

upon a support trench lined with men of the 1st E.Yorks, the enemy were repulsed

and retired to the trenches vacated by the Durhams. C Coy and two platoons of

A Coy launched a counter-attack and drove the enemy back to their original

positions. The Battalion was relieved by North Staffs and marched back to L'Armee.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

That's great, just what I wanted. How I know for sure that the 18th Bde. did hold part of the newly dug trenches between Touquet-Flamengrie Farm-Rue du Bois, and that the K.S.L.I. and Liecs. retired through them. One more lose end cleared up.

Many Thanks

Annette