The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help - Identifying my grandfather's uniform

mikerigg

Can anyone help by identifying the regiment my grandfather was serving in during WW1 from the attached photo.?

thanks

Mike Rigg

post-1-1070712266.jpg

I think Royal Artillery is good bet. Great photo looks like he modified his jacket to a stand collar for better looks. Any Canadian connection? I ask only because this modifying the collar was extremely common amongst Canadians issued British Jackets. This was also done by British troops only not as common.

His rank is Corporal.

Royal Artillery units had both Corporals and Bombardiers.

In the Great War a Royal Artillery Bombardier was a separate odd rank category. It was the equivelent of the Engineer Second Corporal (another odd rank). The Bombardier wore one stripe. It kind of fell below Corporal (2 Stripes) and above Lance Corporal (one stripe). I believe this changed after the war.

Joe Sweeney

Drat! Quite right: Bombardiers and Second Corporals abolished 1920, badge and rank in RA for the hitherto RA Corporal rank became 2 chevrons and Bombardier.

Authority Dawnay.

Definitely not RFA. I was going to say RGA as the central letter/number does look rather round, but the first does not look like an R. His lanyard is on the left arm, which Ian Bowbrick recent suggested would be on the right for an RGA man. I'd go with Charles, 10th Hussars.

I'm sorry I think I've confused matters by putting my photos of my 2 grandfathers on this forum on the same day! They are 2 different people. This photo is of my maternal GF who served in France and was, I believe, a farrier. He survived the war and married my GM: his fiance in the photo and no doubt came to terms with his new Mother-in- Law; the other rather imposing female in the photo.

Another question werethe 10th Hussars a gunnery regiment?

thanks

Mike

I think I lean more towards the RGA ideas. I'm not too well up on shoulder titles, but I think the 10th Hussars idea is wrong (if it's the similarity to a "10" that can be seen on the photo that's being used as a basis). My Gt.Grandfather's 10th Hussars shoulder title is "X.R.H.", though he did serve pre-war.

Dave.

This might not be of any help but wasn't there a difference in the bandoleers (sp?) worn by the artillery and cavalry?

Regards

Terry

Yes. The cavalry pattern 1903 Bandoleer held 90 rounds in 9 pouches (5 on the front and 4 on the rear), whereas the "dismounted" or "infantry" pattern held 50 rounds in 5 pouches (all on the front).

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to see whether there are any pouches on the rear on the photo because of the angle.

Dave.