The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help - Grandfather's Uniform?

mikerigg

Can anyone help by identifying the regiment my grandfather was serving in during WW1 from the attached photo.?

thanks

Mike Rigg

post-1-1070723009.jpg

Hello Mike.

Just an observation,but if this is a photo of the man in your other posting(The R.A Bombadier),i believe he has recieved a commision by the time of this photo,as this man is wearing an Officer's uniform.

I am no expert,but i would say he is definitely Royal Artillery,but what rank,i am not sure.

Regards.

Simon.

Guest Pete Wood

This is a different man, I am sure.

Ears are very useful for this sort of exercise, when making a comparison. Look at the lobes.

This man has a broader nose, too.

I'm sorry I think I've confused matters by putting my photos of my 2 grandfathers on this forum on the same day! They are 2 different people. This photo is of my paternal GF who served in Italy and was, I believe, a Major. He survived the war and during WW2 commanded the Home Guard in his home town - Fleetwood in Lancashire.

many thanks - all these views are gratefully received.

Mike

Just tried to look at it zoomed to see if the top scroll was laurel leaves instead of 'Ubique' (suggesting TF instead of regular) but unable to see...

But yup, definitely a Gunner!

Mike

As he was an officer, you may be able to find his commission in the London Gazette online. The search engine is very difficult to use (see other postings on this forum) but if you try various combinations of his full names if you know them, and/or intitials, you may be able to find him. I found mine in the end by searching on his unusual middle name.

here is the link: http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSearch.asp?

Good luck!

Pat

Mike: What is your grandfather's full name - I will see what I have on him in my Royal Artillery officers' database. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick - My Grandfather's full name was Sydney Rigg - Could you look him up on your database please?

Pat - thanks for the London Gazette link - unfortunately I did not unearth anything.

Regards

Mike