The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Popularity of Scottish Units with Medal collectors

Terry

Some time ago we had a thread dealing with the popularity of various units with medal collectors. This time, how would people rank the popularity of the Scottish infantry regiments which served in WW1. In alphabetical order: Argylls; Black Watch; Camerons; Cameronians; Gordons; Highland Light Infantry; KOSB's; Royal Scots; Royal Scots Fusiliers; Scots Guards; Seaforths.

My own feelings lean toward the Argylls, Gordons, Seaforths, and Black Watch but perhaps that is just me.

Yes, I know I should have tossed in the TA units, then London Scottish, Liverpool Scottish,etc., but I thought to start with just the regular line infantry units.

To date my 14 Star collection includes trios to the Cameronians, Highland Light Infantry, Black Watch, Royal Scots Fusiliers, and Gordon Highlanders. Great units one and all.

I don't collect regimentely,I tend to collect whatever takes my fancy,I do have several Scottish units in my collection,however,I have just aquired a nice MM,pair,TFWM,TEM group to a Cpl in the Royal Scots(he is Royal Scots Fus on the TFWM,which according to Howard Williamsons Collectors Guide only 9 were issued to O.Rs in this unit),

Stu.

When I was in Gallipoli last year a member of our party found a badge, shoulder I think of Scottish Horse near Lala Baba, got to be a pretty unusual one.